Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Scared story for WVMountaineer >

Scared story for WVMountaineer

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scared story for WVMountaineer

Old 11-10-2002, 07:50 PM

Default Scared story for WVMountaineer

I live in northern OK. We are not supposed to have mountain lions but we have a few. This happened to a close friend that is very good with a gun and he was scared and I would have been too.

His second son had seen a mountain lion in the area twice in the last two years.

He was hunting in the evening a couple miles from town with his 13 yr old boy during primitive firearms season. He had set his son about 150 yds away and at dark he went back by to get him. They both were carrying TC 54's. They were walking parallel to a creek with lots of blackjacks headed back to the truck. A deer snorted and took off down the creek though they couldn't see it they could hear it going through the leaves. It went about 50 yds and they heard the awfullest growl and silence. Then they heard bones crunching. Him and his son looked and each other wild eyed and cocked their guns. After that they always walked out while it was still light and walked in after sun rise. Changes things when you are no longer the top of the food chain.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Scared story for WVMountaineer

Time to find a new hunting spot or get rid of that cat.

As you so elequently put, it certainly changes things when you are not at the top of the food chain.

I go into the woods in search of a meal......not to be one!
Old 11-11-2002, 01:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would be a kitty hunting!!!!!
Old 11-11-2002, 07:16 AM

Bob,

I know what you mean about no mountain lions in Oklahoma. I used to live in Lawton and was hunting Ft. Sill and saw one out there. It sure is exciting, but also humbling.
Good luck

beej

Old 11-11-2002, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

The way you hunt that cat is to get a baby goat (kid) and rope it to a tree at night the gost will scream most of the night.The cat will hear it and come in for a easy meal.Time to take out the cat.A rancher in gonzales tex. took out a big cat that was eating his calfs this way I saw the cat after it was put down paws as big as my hands.

Old 11-12-2002, 08:47 AM

One major problem to eliminating the cat. The law. Here they are illegal to shoot and if you do you give up most of what you own including your guns and lots of cash. I know of a rancher in central OK that kept telling the local game ranger that he had a mt. lion stalking his cattle and he was told to leave it alone. He later shot the cat and took it to the game ranger. He lost his gun and was fined several hundred.

I have never seen one here, but I have hunted and trapped here all my life. I saw a set of cat tracks one time bigger than the end of a pop can, and that isn't a bobcat.

His sons' two sightings I eluded to was a story as well. Kelly and his son Cody were bow hunting a pretty open place with a wheat field. Cody was in a tree on the wheat. When it was getting really dark he saw something enter the field on the far side heading straight at him. He thought that if it got real close he might be able to take a shot. He thought it was a deer at first but when it got closer he realized it was a cat. The cat came to about 30 yds sat down under his tree and looked up at him. Here he is a 19 yr old in a tree at dark with only a bow and a mountain lion below him. He made some noise and the cat left. His dad had walked to the pickup and was wondering why Cody wasn't there. He was trying to skylight him toward where his stand was and couldn't see him. Then he noticed Cody was walking out in the middle of the wheat field making a big circle back to the truck. Cody was pretty shook but nothing would ever stop him from hunting. The other time he saw one he was bowhunting the next year about 3/4 mile from where he saw one the year before and was walking through some tall grass and spooked it.