Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 never been so scared... >

never been so scared...

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

never been so scared...

Old 10-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default never been so scared...

I took a walk today since we can't hunt sundays and found some fresh scrapes. I followed the tracks and found the maker of the scrapes. He was an small 6 pointer. I was surprised he didn't see me and I hid behind a tree. He walked down the trail and noticed me at about 15 yards. Did he run? No, he walk towards me angrily with his neck all puffed up. Now he is less than 5 yards away and I am screaming swinging a stick. He does not look so small anymore. He did not flinch from my useless stick swinging and idle threats so I ran to the nearest tree but there was nothing good to climb. He decided not to kill me and started making more scrapes like I wasn't even there. To leave the woods I had to walk past him so I slowly followed him keeping my distance while he made scrapes until I could get out of the woods. Last week I was back there pouring doe in heat urine on scrapes. Good thing I had no urine this week because I am sure he would of mauled me.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: never been so scared...

Now that's enough to get the adrenalin pumping! Just out of curiosity, what were you wearing?
Old 10-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

dark brown sweatshirt and jeans.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:55 PM

I once was fallowed in the dark after a hunt by a nice eight pointer, he was slowly gaining on me and when I was within about 20 yards of the house I was hunting at he stopped and was about twenty or so yards behind me. That was the last year I used doe in heat scent. LOL!!!
Old 10-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

My new hunt'n clothes are dark brown sweatshirt and jeans. They say if you wear this and put out doe'n heat pee, you'll see bucks that ya can't swing a stick at! I've been waiting for a perfect setup like this all my life. Thanks
BBO
Old 10-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Spike

Hotburn76,

Like you, I have had several occasions that deer have followed me after dark.

Four seasons ago, I had a nice buck follow me. It's abad felling. Done got black dark, Parked my four-wheeler about 400 yds from my stand. Somewhere right after I left my stand, I heard something in the shallow water walking behind me. Stayed up with me until I climbed on and cranked the wheeler. When the lights hit him, he slowly just tuned and faded off out of the light. He never spooked, but I did, I was a nervous wreck !!!!
P.S.
I didn't have any doe-piss on me, nor have I used it for about a week...
Old 10-29-2007, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, those are nice encounter stories. I've heard of people being attacked while they had doe pee on. But not without. I think Id be alittle scared with one following me. Let alone one actually holding his ground like that! That's funny...but I would be scared ascrap too!

chris
Old 10-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Spike

One of the biggest deer I ever shot, was a monster buck tearing his way towards me. Was in a really thick thicket, making my way thew to get on a new spot I found days before were I found that was tore-up with buck signs. It was a evening hunt. Thank God I had my rifle loaded. As I was going threw, taking it easy no to get scatched up with thorns & such. About two-thirds of the way threw, I heard something just crashing and tearing it's way toward me. I really believe that he thought I was another deer in his territory. Remember, it's thick with briars and vines, as he appeared ruffly about five or six step from me, where I could see, he spotted me about the same time I seen him, he stopped, looked at me, and swayed his head back and forth, a time or two, just about that time, I came up, and shot him threw his neck, I really didn't aim. Scared the devil out of me. He fell on the spot. He was a big, monster thirteen point buck. Always wonder what would of happened if I haven't aready had my gun loaded up. Would he have attacked, or what, we'll never know !!!!!
Old 10-29-2007, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Crazy A$$ buck prolly would have gored you!!! lol