HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scared story for WVMountaineer
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2002, 08:47 AM
BobS

Default RE: Scared story for WVMountaineer

One major problem to eliminating the cat. The law. Here they are illegal to shoot and if you do you give up most of what you own including your guns and lots of cash. I know of a rancher in central OK that kept telling the local game ranger that he had a mt. lion stalking his cattle and he was told to leave it alone. He later shot the cat and took it to the game ranger. He lost his gun and was fined several hundred.

I have never seen one here, but I have hunted and trapped here all my life. I saw a set of cat tracks one time bigger than the end of a pop can, and that isn't a bobcat.

His sons' two sightings I eluded to was a story as well. Kelly and his son Cody were bow hunting a pretty open place with a wheat field. Cody was in a tree on the wheat. When it was getting really dark he saw something enter the field on the far side heading straight at him. He thought that if it got real close he might be able to take a shot. He thought it was a deer at first but when it got closer he realized it was a cat. The cat came to about 30 yds sat down under his tree and looked up at him. Here he is a 19 yr old in a tree at dark with only a bow and a mountain lion below him. He made some noise and the cat left. His dad had walked to the pickup and was wondering why Cody wasn't there. He was trying to skylight him toward where his stand was and couldn't see him. Then he noticed Cody was walking out in the middle of the wheat field making a big circle back to the truck. Cody was pretty shook but nothing would ever stop him from hunting. The other time he saw one he was bowhunting the next year about 3/4 mile from where he saw one the year before and was walking through some tall grass and spooked it.