Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Ammo questions for all you swithchers >

Ammo questions for all you swithchers

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ammo questions for all you swithchers

Old 11-08-2002, 10:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Ammo questions for all you swithchers

I constantly see post about "I am going to try this type of ammo this year to see if it is better than the ammo I used last year"

My question is if you have a round you have used and it is accurate with your gun and does a good job of taking deer why would you consider trying another type of ammo?

I understand trying something else if you are using an ammo type that doesn't shoot well from your gun or doesn't have any knock down power trying another round, but why in the world if you KNOW what you were shooting last year is accurate and has great knock down power would you dream of trying something different????

I really need to know this answer because it makes no sense to me why any one would change from something that works well to something they have never shot a deer with before.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 11-08-2002, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ammo questions for all you swithchers

I've been using the same bullets for 6 years so I'm not sure if I should answer this but I'll try. People may have had good success with brand X bullets for a few years taking standing broadside shots at smallish deer at close range. They may envision the possibilty of a bad angle shot at the buck of a life time and want all the insurance they can get. They're always coming out with something better and there's nothing wrong with having the best. I like trying new stuff out to see how it works. If I were going to try something new, however, I wouldn't be looking this late in the game.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 11-08-2002, 11:15 AM

lets see......10 shots from the bench........875" factory Fed. Prem....165gr. boat tail soft point.......

No I aint gona change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do know some folks that carry dif stuff,..if a turky pops out...deer.....hog and so on...if you can shot well with 1 than that can take nearly anything! Shot placement is EVERYTHING!!!!!

Hurry up and wait.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

actually Taz its pretty simple ,They are looking for something just a bit better as they do in all walks of life . What ever you have you will continually try to improve it .
Old 11-08-2002, 11:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Barnes I have been shooting the same thing for over 20 years, any ammo that turns lungs to mush, pinky hole in and 2-4 inch hole out is one I would never switch from.

Where I am going with this is I feel once you have found ammo you know will do the job you owe it to the deer to continue to use that ammo and not use them to experiment with.

I agree they are always coming out with all kinds of new type of ammo and if I was new to hunting and had to shoot a deer 2 or 3 times before I knocked him down the year before I would be looking at a change in ammo.

In reality unless you are looking at driving tacks at 300-500 yards there has not been a large enough change in ammo in the last 20 years to switch unless what you are shooting is not doing the job.

What gets me is post saying I was shooting ammo XXX last year and it knocked deer flat, this year I switched to ammo YYY and I had to shoot a deer 3 times before it finally went down.

Am I just an old man? Am I wrong in not changing ammo types every time an ammo manufacturer claims there ammo is the best? I feel I owe it to the deer to use what I know works very well rather than using them as an experiment to see is ammo manufacturer XXX really is better than my proven YYY ammo.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 11-08-2002, 11:30 AM

I agree with you Taz, if it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

RYAN SMITH
Old 11-08-2002, 01:44 PM

As a handloader, I'm constantly playing with new loads and bullets. BUT, like most handloaders, I have an established hunting load and never change it. Once you have one that works, make up a batch and lock it away for hunting season.