HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ammo questions for all you swithchers
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2002, 11:26 AM
Tazman
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Ammo questions for all you swithchers

Barnes I have been shooting the same thing for over 20 years, any ammo that turns lungs to mush, pinky hole in and 2-4 inch hole out is one I would never switch from.

Where I am going with this is I feel once you have found ammo you know will do the job you owe it to the deer to continue to use that ammo and not use them to experiment with.

I agree they are always coming out with all kinds of new type of ammo and if I was new to hunting and had to shoot a deer 2 or 3 times before I knocked him down the year before I would be looking at a change in ammo.

In reality unless you are looking at driving tacks at 300-500 yards there has not been a large enough change in ammo in the last 20 years to switch unless what you are shooting is not doing the job.

What gets me is post saying I was shooting ammo XXX last year and it knocked deer flat, this year I switched to ammo YYY and I had to shoot a deer 3 times before it finally went down.

Am I just an old man? Am I wrong in not changing ammo types every time an ammo manufacturer claims there ammo is the best? I feel I owe it to the deer to use what I know works very well rather than using them as an experiment to see is ammo manufacturer XXX really is better than my proven YYY ammo.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club