Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

scents

Old 08-22-2006, 07:32 AM

Default RE: scents

Deerhunter 515- to answer your question-
There are basically two categories of deer urine scent, deer urine with preservatives,companies that buy deer urine from deer farms around the countrye.g. Tinks , Code Blue etc...
Secondly, deer urine without preservatives from farms that own their own deere.g. Southern Whitetail Scent, Northern Whitetail Scents and Stonycreek whitetails etc.....
I have had very little success with the deer urines with preservatives- sometimes I wonder how old that stuff is, was it from two or three years ago? How do the companies that buy from multiple farms and mix the urine together ensure quality?
I started using freshly collected (from the current hunting year) deer urine products and in the last two years my boys and I have harvested some really nice bucks using products from Southern Whitetail Scents. I think the preservatives in the urine change the smell!
Check um out at www.southernwhitetailscentsi
Old 08-22-2006, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the HS earth scent wafers and put them as markers from my stand. I don't think it brings deer in thats my job to set up where the deer will come in not some manufacturer. I put them out in all 4 directions on deer trails if possiable I know thats 20 yards now and it takes the deers attention to them and gives me a little extra edge when drawing my bow. I have shot 2 deer batting these scent wafers around with there nose.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:53 AM

Wind direction and a scent control regimen is key if hunting on public land especially in open hunting areas. Check your PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

I think I'll be usinga couple scents a little before the rut, during the rutand a little while after the rut. I've heard of friends using them and actually having bucks follow them to their stands. I think you have to use them properly like wis_bow_huntjr says.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Best scent is no scent...... They sell a ton of that crap though!
Old 08-22-2006, 01:01 PM

Never used them and I still have excellent results season in and season out. I think they are all gimmicks. I just try to make sure my scent is not detectable!!
Old 08-25-2006, 04:26 AM

I use Fireless Smoke scented wind detector, that way if I happen to be upwind I just use a couple extra puffs. The wind will take the Whitetail "Doe in Heat" scent right to the Bucks downwind and bring em in for a closer look.

check it out
Old 09-15-2006, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

scents=cents=dollars.........research=savings=sens e