Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Making a moving target out of a tire? >

Making a moving target out of a tire?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Making a moving target out of a tire?

Old 08-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Making a moving target out of a tire?

Anyone have plans, or know of plans to make a moving target out of a tire for practicing shooting at a running target (deer)? Want to practice with my lever gun for doing some deer drives this fall.
Thanks!
Chris
Old 08-10-2006, 08:41 PM

Default RE: Making a moving target out of a tire?

My kids are in a youth archery league and they have done this. They pin a balloon on it and role it acrross the shooting lane. The kids love it!! My son has popped the balloon doing it!!
Old 08-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

For fun at the range it's fine, but taking a shot at a running deer... seems a bit unethical if you ask me. I wouldn't do it. Maybe a walking deer, definately not a running deer.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:39 AM
Fork Horn

Just as an FYI.....will be doing these deer drives in Kansas. That's where I grew up and we do them all the time. It is the primary way that deer are hunted in Kansas with a firearm.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Have someone drive a junker car around
Old 08-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

I tried that, but my wife says she got tired of all the shattered glass getting in her hair. Women!

Chris

FYI....This is a JOKE, please do not actually believe that I've had my wife driving a car around while I shot at the tires!
Old 08-11-2006, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Challynger For fun at the range it's fine, but taking a shot at a running deer... seems a bit unethical if you ask me. I wouldn't do it. Maybe a walking deer, definately not a running deer.
By clattin taking the time and putting forth the effort, he is removing the "unethical" part of the equation. He is attempting to practice the shots necessary to hit a running deer. Much the same as guys who sit at a bench ad shoot at a stionary target, then wait for the deer to become momentarily stationary for their ethical shot.

IMO - it would be unethical to shoot at a running deer without being well practiced and have the belief that you will indeed inflict aquick, fatal shot.

We used to roll an old tire with a hubcap from behind my uncles barn and down a small hill towards his pond. When first rolled we could hit it easily. But when it picked up speed - the hits went way down. We were mostly using a .22