Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 moving 3 d target! >

moving 3 d target!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

moving 3 d target!

Old 09-23-2004, 07:29 AM

Default moving 3 d target!

Hey guys i am setting up a 3d shoot for my local club and i am setting up a 3d moving target has anyone ever done this before i am trying to figure a cheap way to do this i was thinking of getting a cable and tie it between 2 trees and make it with a little pich and it will run down the cable with gravity.

Any ideas??
Old 09-23-2004, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: moving 3 d target!

thats the best way to do it. if you make the target go down hill its easier. even a slight decline.. its actually a fun way to mess with your buds while scouting. i did this one weekend i knew my hunting buddys woudl be scouting with me... so i brought my bow and a arrow, and i rigged it so when they walked past a spot i coudl cut some fishing wire that was connected to the deers tail and away it went.. i yelled a deer and ran infront of em and shot, the ke knocked the pully off the cable and the target went down.. you shoudl have seen my buddys faces! priceless. but now we use that set up in our back yards to get better at shooting.. one of us will pull the cable attched to its head then periodically hold it still at times that it wouldnt offer a good shot like behind a tree or shrubs, and then stop it at a point that would offer a shot and we also varry the distances so that the other person has to judge the distance. its fun to play with that but make sure you know where everyone is we built a litle wooden modile blind for the guy pulling the cable to sit behind, JUST IN CASE! even though he usually is 60-90degrees off to one side or the other.

good luck
Old 09-23-2004, 01:33 PM

great fun shooting at moving 3d targets, my archery club set one up its actually really simple we just took an old cloths line set up attached each pully to a tree of course in a direct line of each other than you have to make sure you attach one pully higher than the other one not much higher because the weight of the target and gravity will give it the momentum it needs, then attach sum kind of metal loop (found at any hardware store) to the ass end of the target, then at the starting point of the target attach a rope with an anchor on the end of it to hook to the target then string the rope up to the shooting line. when you pull the rope the target will do the rest. only down side is the target had to physically be return to start position. totally cost for this set up is next to nothing. It work for us and was a very exciting way to shoot amazing how many arrows were lost when people shoot at a moving target.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of the "runners" at one of our local clubs is similar to the ones described. It carries a couple pulleys so that it can slide down the slightly downhill cable. A rope is attached to the end of the 3D target and that rope routes along until it meets it's "spool", this is a tire rim with a handle where you simply wind up the target to reset it. They drilled a hole in the side of the rim to insert a stop pin so anyone can release it by simply pulling it out. It's a pretty smooth system that is alot of fun.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:25 PM

I'm just wondering where did you get this?
Old 09-24-2004, 05:39 PM

My club has one indoors it is on wheels but also is conected to a top rope with rolers. there is a string attached to the rollers. By the way the roler is connected to the target with rope. you could also use a swinging barrel thats lots of fun.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

my club has one just like you described at their 3d shoots not my favorite target to shoot at happy to get a hit on it
Old 09-24-2004, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have one at our 3D place like the ones described. The target is weighted with metal so it can run a little faster. The pull rope has a pully past the start tree (high point) that runs back to the shooting spot. The shooter can pull the target back, step on the rope, and let it go.

I have also heard of people using garage door openers too. Have not seen them just heard of it.