Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Making Layered Foam Target >

Making Layered Foam Target

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Making Layered Foam Target

Old 01-18-2007, 07:04 AM

Default Making Layered Foam Target

New member first post.

A buddy and myself have been toying with the idea of making a layered foam target like the Block. Seems pretty simple, layering foam between two pieces of plywood and banding with steel banding tool. I haven't had any luck finding the foam. The Block targets are pretty pricey plus I would like to make one larger for a permanent archery target in my yard. Has anyone tried this, wherecould one find the foam and can the foam be purchased fairly economically compared premade layered targets? Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Making Layered Foam Target

Behind the deer target is one that I made out of sheeted insulation. There is a topic which I posted how to build it floating around that you may or may not want to do a search on. It took a little upfront money, but only cost about $15 to replace the mid section on it. About $35 to replace all the insulation. Let me know if you have a hard time finding the topic.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:13 AM
Banned

Ihad the same idea a couple of years ago. We called all around looking for thin foam for layers and found some but very expensive. We gave up the idea. Ibought one of these layered ones for $30 this year at menards. WE use it strictly for checking broadhead flight. The best targets for fieldtips are bag targets such as the ones put out by delta. They stop the arrows great and arrow removal is two finger, These last foreever too. We had a block shot out in two months after buying it. We were not impressed.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:14 AM
Banned

BTW; welcome to the forum!!!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:23 AM
Dominant Buck

I bought a yellow jacket, this year.....and only shoot BH;s into it. I'm finding it difficult to justify the time to make one....when this target's only $45 (And I'm sure it'll last 2 more seasons). The field point target I use has had thousands of arrows shot into it.....and it's a layered rubber target that someone makes and sells to my archery shop. My son and I shoot at it during the off-season....and I think it was about $50-60. If you're thinking about making them and selling them.....I guess it could be worth it. I know $60 isn't pocket change, too. I don't mean to sound like it is. It's just that I've been pleased with what I got for that money. That's all.

The archery shop I frequent has one just like Bob's that they let people shoot BH's into. I don't do that.....because there's BH's people have left in the foam....and I don't want my practice BH's OR my arrows damaged.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:23 AM

If you are looking for a target just to use practice points on then get yourself a feed bag and stuff it with old rags, clothing (no zippers or metal buttons), etc...!!! I have done this for years now and as long as you keep it put away out of the rain!!!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wish i could do this becuase i dont like spending that much money on targets.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:52 AM

I bought a layered foam target for 35 bucks, I don't really care for it. Those bag targets are awesome, I have used those at some outdoor shoots I goto to warm up. I am thinking of getting one of them and using my multilayer for a backstop(I shoot into my garage, only space I got) I also have a Broadhead foam target. That is the worst kind of target to try and get an arrow out of. It takes standing on the target and using both hands to pull the arrow out.

A bag target would be the best way to go. if you can find out exactly how they make all of those let us know, or sell them cheap enough and I will buy one!
Old 01-18-2007, 11:38 AM

Thanks for all the responses.

I was wondering how that 1/2" building insulation might work or even the green fan fold. I currently have a Block 24" x 24" x 18" target. I think it ran me about $100. I shoot both broadheads and target tips into it. I like it pretty well. I think the key to any target is the thickness from front to back, because the real damage starts as soon as you start blowing out the back of the target. I have tried everything from feed sacks filled with rags to hay bales. I once concocted a haybale press which I made out of 2 - 4x4's with all thread between them. As the hay loosened up I just tighted the nuts on the all thread compressing them tighter. It worked well but I didn't have a roof over it so the hay deteriorated pretty badly by the end of the season. My main thought behind making one of these was to be able to make something larger to mount between a couple 4x4's planted in the ground with a roof overtop where a couple or three guys could shoot at the same time. If your going to buy a layered target I wouldn't recommend anything less that 18" thick with the speed and energy of todays bows you will be blowing out the back of it in a couple rounds of shooting.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:44 PM

that sounds like a good idea, could almost make a covered shooting area at different distances as well.

I would assume that you wouldn't want to do too wide without having some sort of addtion clamping in between the ends, otherwise the middle could just fall out.

We have a free outdoor range up here that uses styrofoam. They are horrible, but they have a good idea. They use the method you have mentioned except they used bolts.

So a guy could make this as wide as he wanted as long as say every 2 or 3 feet of target width you have another clamp to keep everything tight. Then possible wrap the bolts in some sort of ultra bright really annoying tape or fabric to let people know not to shoot there.

I think that would be an awesome target, and if I ever buy a home with a yard big enough, I just might build one. lol

Quick Reply: Making Layered Foam Target

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.