Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Making an inexpensive archery target ---video >

Making an inexpensive archery target ---video

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Making an inexpensive archery target ---video

Old 06-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default Making an inexpensive archery target ---video

Still havn't gotten the hang of making instructional videos ------

http://i271.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/parker-bows/Target25.flv">
Old 06-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Making an inexpensive archery target ---video

I'll just take a Block.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:14 AM
Typical Buck

Ed:

Did you make that video? If so, do you know why the paint was dissolving the styrofoam?

Old 06-27-2008, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

Yes , I made the video . I kinda rattle on when I talk .
I used the multi-block method as it makes my neighbor a bit safer . I am not even shooting in his direction . It keeps me out of trouble .

I am not sure what caused the chemical reaction to cause the styrafoam to melt . I don't know the total chemical makeup of the paint . The paint has Acetone & Tolulene in it's content .
There are various things that cause styrafoam to dissolve . I remember one time helping a friend burn a brush pile . He gave his son a styrafoam cup and told him to get some gas from a container that was about 80 feet away . By the time the kid got almost to us , the bottom of the cup had melted and the gas was on the ground . I told my buddy it was a stupid thing to do if he knew what the end result was going to be .............

Thanks for the responses !
Old 06-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thank you very much ED you just made my mine up what i want to put in my basement I have plenty of Tractor supplys around me so finding then should not be an issue. beside i love tinkering with things I dont thing the paint will do to much damage, should be ok after it dries How much penetration are you getting, anything sticking out of the backside. just wondering how close i can set one to a concrete wall?? Thanks for putting together, i enjoyed it
Old 06-29-2008, 05:35 AM
Typical Buck

The Styrafoam must not have a consistant makeup as I will get much deeper penetartion in some spots . Some shots don't go through and others will stick 8" out the back . I havn't shot enough to deterioate the blocks yet .
Old 06-29-2008, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

I've used these before. They make more of a better target back for errant shots than actual target in my opinion. Of course, field tips will make it last longer, but broadheads will chew through that in no time. I used Tough As Nails to glue them together instead of the boards and ratchet straps you used. A water based paint might work on those Ed; like the kind they use to mark hash marks on grass for ballgames or to mark underground utilities. It is pretty easy to find at hardware stores. Plus it would come off your arrows easier maybe. You did a good job on your video! Real informative.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pin paintedpaper plates where you need them. Very replaceable. Nice job. You can also make one using the same principle by stacking cardboard sheets on top of each other. Takes a heck of alot of seets though.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Loved the movie. So if i walk into Tractor Supply what do i ask for exactly?
Old 06-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

Sutton------
Ask the dock Manager if he has any styrafoam blocks he wants to get rid of ......... I understand it is a bit of a nuisance for the store to try to send them back or to dispose of them .

Snood Slapper -----------
I had considered using the Nail Glue adhesive but ........... when I shoot out a block with my setup , I can loosen the straps , replace a block and tighten the straps back up . Can't do that if they are glued .

Quick Reply: Making an inexpensive archery target ---video

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.