Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Winded, Do I still have a chance? >

Winded, Do I still have a chance?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Winded, Do I still have a chance?

Old 10-31-2002, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default Winded, Do I still have a chance?

I was hunting a pine/cypress head that is appx 150 yds round. I was on the north end b/c there were rubs and i got some pics at this spot, but after two hunts, I have not seen any deer. I got down a little early and started walking and got winded. Turned out, the big deer was on the back side on the head. My scent was carried through the head to the back side where he was located. I have been wondering if his bedding and primary habitat was back there but again, given the rubs and pic, I hunted the front side. My question is, what is a logical strategy for getting on this deer or do you think I sent him nocturnal? How many days or weeks should I wait before trying to get back on him?
Old 10-31-2002, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Winded, Do I still have a chance?

You eductaed him for sure, but I highly doubt he will go noc from one winding encounter. I would if possible let it settle for a few days and only hunt it on the right wind. You knew where his wondering, marking area was and now you know his bedroon (bedding area). Use the knowledge and get him. When the rut approaches hill be on the move and looking for love, just gotta be their if you miss him before.

good luck!

Old 10-31-2002, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Winded, Do I still have a chance?

Tealboy, shame on you. When going into a head, Rule Numero Uno is, Which way is the wind direction ? Okay no more spankings. Like Skeeter said, he's educated, but not likely to go nocturnal, at least not yet. This deer requires a few things and can be patterned quite easily, they need food/water, bedding area, and hunt the rut full time, if you find the does dureing the rut, you"ll find the big boy, good luck. Bobby