Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting Winded

Old 03-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Getting Winded

I shot a fair number of deer this past season, but something that happened to me more than I think ever before was getting busted... hearing the old too familiar alarm blow and foot stomp.

I think that I was more scent control conscious this year than ever before. I had a shower at the hunt club, and always took a scent free bath before every bow hunt. I stopped wearing cologne and scented deodorants in August, for a bow season that started in early October. All my clothes were washed in scent free detergents and line dryed before every hunt. I used copious amounts of scent killer. I got dressed just prior to walking to my stand, and my clothes were transported in scent free bags. And when it started getting colder later on in the month, I even started using Scent Lock. I was very cautious about the wind as well.

What I don't understand is why I got busted more using this scent control system than I ever have before. It was to the point where I would get smoked 2 out of 3 hunts..... sometimes even when the deer were upwind of me. Maybe it was swirling? I have no idea.

Anybody have any thoughts or see any gaps in my strategy?
Old 03-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Getting Winded

They may have seen you. If the wind was not swirling, they couldn't have smelled you.

BTW, I don't use any scent control except the wind. Well, I do wash my clothes in plain water and hang outside to dry.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like you had the bases covered as far as scent control, (I'm guessing going to all that detail your towels were scent free as well) could it have been from movement?
Old 03-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe you hung your stands so you profiled yourself? Maybe too much movement? It does not sound like scent was your problem.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

How high are your stands. I like a minimum of 15', prefferably 18'-20'. Also have you considered the thermals in hilly terrain, if it applies.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll tell you that I've used X-Scent or a silver ION base layer the last 4 season, and have had probably 3x the number of up close encounters, and I don't believe I've been winded once in that time. The times I've been busted I was busted on sight or movement. I use scent-free "ALL: Free & Clear" laudry detergent, "Snuggle or Downy Scent-free softener, and dry them in the dryer with a "Bounce: Scent-Free" dryer sheet. Not just my hunting clothes, but ALL of my clothes. I also keep my boots in the box I buy them in, and spray them with a little earth scent cover scent/neutralizer, and some "BUCK URINE" for a cover. The last thing I do is ALWAYS wear a face mask that covers the back of my neck, my ears and my mouth. And NEVER MAKE EYE CONTACT with a deer!!!! NEVER EVER, EVER, make eye contact. I've only escaped one time without being busted after having made eye contact, and that was a young 1.5 yo buck, that was to "Lovesick" to care about me!!!! No Scent-Lok or anything else just what is mentioned above, and a low-odor or scent free soap and scent-free deodorant (Be a MITCHUM man!!!!)
Old 03-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Re: Movement: Being 100% totally objective here, no way it could have been movement.

Let me give you an example of what was happening: Typically right at peak movement hours, that last 45 minutes or so, I am of course on high alert. Sitting totally still, listening intently. The deer that were busting me were still well out of sight and ear shot... I could tell where they were of course when they blew. In some cases, they were over 100 yards away. I always black my face out with an old burnt wine cork, and quite often wear a facemask as well. Always wear gloves too... no skin exposed. I really don't think movement was my problem.

Re: Skylined: In the case of one stand I know thats what happened.... or at least I'm pretty sure. Most of my stands are hang-on/lock-on style and are up in either holly or beech trees with lots of branches. I take the back drop into consideration.

Here is another thought: The property I was/am hunting is not super huge. 500 acres total in two 250 acre blocks. The southern most block is a huge field, with in some places as few as 20 yards of woods around them before our property ends. There are a lot of deer in the area, but they only come to the field at night. This is smack in the middle of one of the largest dog running for deer counties in the state (VA), if not the country. So once gun season opens up... dogs are everywhere. The place doesn't get much pressure in the early season. There were times when I thought the deer should have smelled me but did not... I took four deer off this property this past season, three bow, one ML. The times I was getting caught were all times I was just totally stupified that I got winded.

Do you think perhaps it may have been something else? We have a lot of foxes and bobcats. And there is no shortage of dogs "in training" getting run through the area... which sucks but it is what it is you know. Any thoughts?
Old 03-05-2008, 02:43 PM

2nd the suggestion the x-scent undergarments, I have had a lot more deer in close since i have been wearing these clothes.

other thing to maybe think about, will be trying this in the upcoming season, UV brighteners in your detergent, if what I have been reading is true, that could make you stick out like a sore thumb in your stand, regardless of how much you move, but then again, it may just be hype, but it is an inexpensive thing to try.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

With that info, I think you found your answer. We've got a neighbor to the north that runs rabbit dogs late in archery season that don't recognize property lines. They always seem to be out during peak movement times as well.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wiaxle

2nd the suggestion the x-scent undergarments, I have had a lot more deer in close since i have been wearing these clothes.

other thing to maybe think about, will be trying this in the upcoming season, UV brighteners in your detergent, if what I have been reading is true, that could make you stick out like a sore thumb in your stand, regardless of how much you move, but then again, it may just be hype, but it is an inexpensive thing to try.
ALL: FREE & CLEAR has "brightening agents," and I had at least 15 deer within 10 yds of me this year ON THE GROUND, and I passed all if them except one, and all of my clothes including my outers are washed in it!!!

Quick Reply: Getting Winded

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.