Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

am i getting winded or what?

Old 11-08-2004, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default am i getting winded or what?

I think I have been getting winded past few times . They dont know it till they are right by my stand. They start smelling the air. Look around look up at me. I can tell they know something is not right. They just walk on. Dont run or snort. Walk on like nothing really happend. Please dont tell me I need scent lok suit. I believe those things are awaste of money. I spray myself down with scent cover (stuff that smells like dirt) and spray my boots down with raccon pee. What going on?
Old 11-08-2004, 02:06 PM

Default RE: am i getting winded or what?

Yep your being winded, they know something is not right, but just can't see what it is so thats why they walk away and not flag. I hate scent lok suits too and don't ever wear mine it just too hot for me. Controling scent can be done without a scent suit, you just need to find out where your scent is coming from. How high is your stand, do you wear your hunting cloths allday, smoke, it could a number of things. We know its not your feet or they would be smelling your steps in. Get Carbon Blast spray instead of the other stuff see if that helps.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

what kind of stand are you in? It could be the concealment of your stand as well. Make sure you have enough cover and backdrop so you aren't sticking out like a sore thumb. I've noticed sometimes when I move a stand in a "iffy" location, they tend to react strange to it. I use good scent control and have had deer bust me and react in this manner when I had the wind completely in my favor. They just knew something was up. I guess if you walked into your home and someone rearanged your furniture you'd think something was up too.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep,the deer think you stink
Old 11-10-2004, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

Try placing scent wicks around your stand about 5 feet in the air.. i personally use the fall acorn scent.. Haven't gotten winded yet>
Old 11-10-2004, 02:20 PM

I have found out at least where I hunt that cigarette smoke does not spook the deer it makes em curious and they come a lookin for the source.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:35 PM

[1dahunter][/I have found out at least where I hunt that cigarette smoke does not spook the deer it makes em curious and they come a lookin for the source.]

Are you serious? What does everyone else think about smoking in the stand?
Old 11-10-2004, 02:51 PM

Your joking right???? Please tell me you are!
Old 11-10-2004, 04:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Deer don't like anyone that likes John Kerry.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:54 PM

I havn't been winded yet, first year of bowhunting. This is what i always have done slug hunting, and carried it over to bowhunting. I take one of those huge tuberware containers. I put all my stuff in it before hunting season. Then i buy scent waffers natural earth scent that smells like dirt. I buy a pack, and throw 3 in the tuberware. This makes all your clothes smell like dirt. Then i buy anthor pack and wear a couple on the stand. I also spray all my stuff down and keep it in the tuberware tell i get out of my truck.

Quick Reply: am i getting winded or what?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.