Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Public Land Food Plots?

Old 04-22-2006, 06:20 AM

Default Public Land Food Plots?

Where I hunt is public land....however, not alot of people hunt it...it is mostly pines...with a few swamps in the same area...lots of acorns...there are some fields in the area...but near the fields is posted land....my question is...have any of you planted food plots on public land? Is this wrong or against the law do you think? They have some great no till seeds available....have a urge to plant a little food plot deep in those woods...away from where the few guys I have seen go....I know I can find a small area to make a nice little plot. What do you guys think?

PS...I live inthe North East.....Thanks, Jay
Old 04-22-2006, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Public Land Food Plots?

I have thought the same thing about planting a small food plot, but since it is public land I believe that I should leave it as is. Just because I think something is a good idea doesn't necessarily mean that everyone else that uses the area (hikers, horseback riders, etc.) would feel the same. Just my 2 cents.

- Rick C.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:52 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

How would you get the equipment in to work the soil. No-Plow a big? if it works. Rich
Old 04-22-2006, 10:30 AM

I was thinking of trying the no-plow seeds......some little creeks in the area....if it rains alot...some of the woods can puddle up a little......I know that nobody goes in these woods " as a rule".....there are alot of old stone walls throughout the woods....was just thinking of bringing a rake and seeing if I could grow a plot maybe 50' x 50'.....or maybe a longer-narrow plot....to be honest....I don't think anybody would know or see it if I was to do it....just wondering what you guys think?
Old 04-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

I've been considering this also, I'd like to know how well the no-till seeds work. If they work well I think it would be worth it.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:48 PM

ive never even thought about it because baiting big game is illegal in montana but i would definently look into the legality of it cuz im pretty sure it probably falls into the category of destruction of state or federal property.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:34 PM

I would contact you state DNR/ conservation dept. b/c I read in a magazine that you can plant food plot seed.

-Joe
Old 04-26-2006, 02:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you did that in Pa ,opening morning you would have 50 hunters sitting next to you LOL
Old 04-26-2006, 04:35 AM
Dominant Buck

It's illegal to do that here , and probably is where you are . Since the place already has good mast and proximity to ag crops there's no point in "improving" it anyway . Find the places where the deer concentrate going to and from the food sources and bedding areas and set up there . Any water source would be a good candidate .
Old 04-26-2006, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I think the state wildlife agency here would frown on do it your selfers seeding their wildlife areas.