Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Keep seein sign ,no buck, any pointers? >

Keep seein sign ,no buck, any pointers?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Keep seein sign ,no buck, any pointers?

Old 10-27-2002, 10:36 AM

Default Keep seein sign ,no buck, any pointers?

Hey guys,

Well this year hasnt been so great for me, unlike some of you. ive shot my bow 2 times at deer but missed. After the second miss i figured out what ws wrong with my bow, my arrow rest was loose so my arrows were slipping down and shooting low all the time...Well after the second shot i went back to my stand a week later only to see a fresh rub not 2 feet away from where i missed the 2nd doe. Since then i have found 8 rubs on my 55 acres, everytime i go out i hear deer, and most of the time see them. I cant put a astand where a rub line of 6 rubs is because of how dense it is in the thicket, is there any tips to get that big boy out of the thicket??? THANK YOU!!!!-Zack
Old 10-27-2002, 03:40 PM

Default RE: Keep seein sign ,no buck, any pointers?

I just recently went out on my property in Michigan. The bow season started on October 1 and I was away until about October 15. The night before I was to hunt, I went out there and put up my blind on a path which I had cut through the middle of my property. There were deer trails going across the path but not down it. Across from my blind was a huge field that the deer were bedding in so I figured it would be a good morning stand. Also across from my blind, on the edge of the field were two little baby oak trees surrounded by about three older ones. None were accorn producing yet. I brought out with me two jars of molasses and pured them all over the two smaller trees. The next morning when I went out, I waited no longer than half an hour and had a buck walk out from the bedding area just as daylight came. It walked right up to the small little oaks and gave em' a lickin'. Unfortunatly, he was a very cautious buck and I had little time to pull back and shoot before he was gone. The days following that, I never saw him. I learned something from all that though. First time you go out is the best opportunity. Maybe you should not only set up a blind by the rubs but in several other locations as well. Make sure and take note of wind direction and make several locations for all possible situations. After hunting a stand, move on the next one and give that stand about three or four days rest as not to spook the deer from the area. Good luck!
Old 10-27-2002, 05:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Keep seein sign ,no buck, any pointers?

Dont worry about getting him out of the thicket, go in tht thicket and get him. Find where he is rubing and scraping and set up a blind near his path (taking note of the wind).

Or you can wait until the rut and take a chance at rattling him, or another one up.

Lifes a garden, dig it.