Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need some pointers for baggin a buck!! >

Need some pointers for baggin a buck!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need some pointers for baggin a buck!!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need some pointers for baggin a buck!!

Well I have been out every week at least 5 times a week hunting about 20 yds from a soybean field and I see a lot of does and a few bucks. However I am not seeing bucks consistently and everytime I see one he's out in the middle of the field and I can't do anything to draw a single buck in, I try calling, rattling and when I do they just look in my direction and then go back to crunching on the beans. It's my first time bowhunting for deer, and last year I got my first buck with a gun which was a little 3 point. Just wanted some tips on calling in a big buck, and I know of a big 8 and 10 point on the property with at least 5 other nice shooters, any tips will be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks
Old 10-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need some pointers for baggin a buck!!

Try to figure out where they are entering the field, or where they are bedding down and get between them and the food...

If you're hunting the same stand 5 times a week, you're over hunting it.. move around. Make sure the wind is in your favor or the deer could simply know you're there and be avoiding the area.

Otherwise, the rut should be starting up in a few weeks, make sure to be out then!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

well my problem is that I am hunting with my girlfriends dad and its his stand and the only one I can hunt, and its hard to move so its the only one that i can hunt unfortunately. So I am not sure what to do, and since it is not my land I cant just decide where I want to go, I have to have the OK from the GF's dad. Thats why im asking for some advice on how I can get some in closer.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe try a ground blind, there easy enough to carry in and out.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

"Don't give up", is the first tip. I compare calling deer to calling turkeys. They have to be in the right frame of mind at the time to come to a call, and what doesn't work today might work tomorrow. I figure if a deer comes to a grunt call 10% of the time thats a good average, so don't expect miracles. Exhale into the tube softly like if you were trying to steam up a pair of eyeglasses, rather than blowing into it.He'll hear it. If he starts coming, shutup. He knows where you are. If he ignores you totally,he may not have heard you. You might try to increase the volume slightly. If he or another deer looks in your direction, they heard you. If he starts coming, but seems to lose interest and changes direction, hit him again and see what his reaction is. If he turns and starts coming again, shutup. If he continues on the wrong course, don't be tempted to blow harder, that will probably just put him into a higher gear. He ain't coming and you're not changing his mind.

Never been a big fan of rattling, although it works for some in some instances. Best done from the ground, rather than 20 ft up a tree, especially if an animal is inside 100 yards or so. They are very adept at pinpointing the exact location where sound comes from, and very little sparring/fighting takes place in a tree. Different story if he's farther away. If he shows interest hang thehorns up "now". You won't believe how quickly he can get there if he wants to and if you don't have your bow up and ready, the games over, believe me.

Explain the situation you are facing with the landowner and see if you can get permission to make a move to a more suitable location.Been my experience that most deer enter or leave a field at the corners, either an inside corner, or an outside corner, of course that isn't always the case. Overgrown fencerows connecting crops or pieces of cover/woods can be fantastic spots to locate a stand. A funnel or pinchpoint whereany typecover narrows down between one area and the next is always a good bet, especially during the pre rut phase when bucks are seeking does. And remember edge. Deer, and animals in general are creature of edge. An edge can be where one type "cover" joins "cover"of a different type.

Always play the wind. If it's not right, take the girlfriend to dinner, and forget the hunt. You'll do yourself more harm than good by hunting, if the conditions aren't right. Girlfriend will think that you really wanted to be with her instead, which may not turn out to be a bad thing for you all in all. The best thing is that sheneverneeds to know the truth, you sly dog you.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

awesome thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Where in michigan do you hunt, thats where I am at. Hunt in Kalamazoo, county.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

All of my hunting is done in Isabella or Montcalm county. I'm jealous, you're down there where the big boys live !! Good luck with your hunting . I have a feeling you'll tag your first bowkill this year.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

Oh ya I am hoping!!
Old 10-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Dominant Buck

As a general rule......bucks don't hang out where a lot of does frequent.....until the rut. It's taken me 3+ seasons to figure this out.