Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need some scope ring help

Old 03-13-2006, 01:32 PM

Default Need some scope ring help

I am putting together what my budget considers to be my dream deer gun. I picked a Remington 11-87 special purpose rifled deer gun (12 ga), in black synthetic, with a cantilever scope mount,and a Bushnell Elite 3200 scope with 3x - 9x,with a 40mm lens, I need to know if a cantilever scope mount is the best way to mount the scope or if I should mount it right to the gun, and then what scoperings should I usewith that application (please be as specific as you can..part #'s would be awesome!). Thanks for the help!!

Sean
Old 03-15-2006, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need some scope ring help

Just have it tapped, and drilled, throw a weaver scope mount on it and some weaver scope rings.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

I have a buddy I hunt with that uses an 11-87 w/ cantilever scope set up and loves it, he has two stocks with this gun, one with high cheek piece and a field stock for regular hunting. If you can drill and tap the receiver of this gun, take a look at the Talley scope mounts they have many different options for you. www.talleyrings.com
Old 03-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I strongly urge you to mount the scope right where it should be mounted - on the cantilever. The barrel doesn't provide the cantilever mount as a convienence, it provides it because it is the best way to keep the scope in alignment with the barrels bore. Bydrilling and tapping the receiver you aren't doing yourself any favors by mounting a scope up there because receiver does just that, it receives the shells and puts them in the barrel.

I don't want to "dis" you in anyway, but IMO a variable power scope like thatwould be one of my last choices for a slug gun. I recently set a 12 ga pump with a cantilever/3-9X scope set up. It was a factory bore sighted cantilever set up and shot well from the start - with just slight tweekingit was a bonefide killer. We were forced to use it with the 3-9X due to time restrictions but that scope is now off and will be replaced with a straight 4X (as are all my other slug guns). Whatever you do with the scope though, I rec you stay withatleast a 32mm lense size. We have been using Simmons Pro-Diamond scopes with absolutely no problems, great light gathering, and no zero-wandering.

Guess what willbe my next scope.

Use the cantilever mount, and fit your rings to your mount using an alignment dowel to make sure or a square mounting. Then just a dap of some serviceable loc-tite on the mounting screws and rings.

Some deer are gonna hate you!
Old 03-15-2006, 08:47 AM

So what brand/make/model of rings should i use on the cantilever for that scope?
Old 03-15-2006, 09:42 PM

I agree on using the cantilever, that is the reason they exist. Another benefit is you can remove the barrel and because the scope stays with it, you shouldn't have to worry about zero loss. That way you can use the gun with other barrels for other types of hunting.

I for one think you should be fine with an adjustable scope. If someone is talking about having troubles with an adjustable scope and they use Simmons in the same sentence, that tells me all I need to know right there! Your Elite 3200 is a fine little scope and should be perfectly at home atop your slug barrel.

I'd use the Weaver Grand Slam rings (they are all steel instead of aluminum like the umpteen piece standard Weavers) or anyother all steel Weaver based ring like the QRWs from Leupold. Warne is another superior ring as well. Whatever you choose just lock-tite everything down (blue lock-tite) you shouldn't have any problems.

Then go out and find some Hornady SST sabot slugs and HAVE AT EM!!!
RA
Old 03-16-2006, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the advice red & matt, I will stick with the cantilever mount. I also went out and purchased the Weaver Medium height Grand Slam rings based on your opinion of em Red, so thanks for that too! I Got the gun and rings, and found a greatdeal online for that scope (cabelas gets $239.00 for it plus shipping) for $179.20 including shipping, so as soon as that gets in, I'll have plenty of time to practice for this fall. Thanks again!!

Sean