Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Scope ring: see-through or not see-through >

Scope ring: see-through or not see-through

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope ring: see-through or not see-through

Old 11-12-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Scope ring: see-through or not see-through

Hello guys,
I am trying to mount the new Nikon 3x9x40 to my CVA hunterbolt ML and debating with see-though scope ring or regular ring. For regular rings, I'd have to remove the rear sight because the objective lense touches it and Ireally do not want to remove thesight but I do not know much about the see-through rings.Does any one have any ideas about the accuracy/convinience/benefit of see-through scope rings compared with regular rings? What about quick-detach rings? Is it better/recommended?
Thanks a lot
khuengo
Old 11-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Scope ring: see-through or not see-through

I had one rifle with see through scope mounts and never had a chance to use the iron sights. Usually by the time you find the iron sights in the see through mounts it is too late for them to be of benefit. I also did not like the height that the mounts made the scope. It was not easy to immediately acquire a scope picture as the scope was too high relative to the rifle stock. I would go with a good set of quick detach mounts to allow cleaning of the rifle without messing up the scope. As far as leaving the iron sights on that is your decision. I long ago decided that the scope is just fine for me and I never worry about the iron sights. I have not even sighted in my Omega with the iron sights. I use a 1.5 to 5 power scope and leave it on 1.5 which is as good as iron sights in quick shots even in brush and trees. If your area allows scope sights that is my recommendation.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I am not a fan of see through mounts. I have them on a few of my rifles and can honestly say that since I put a scope on the rifle, I have NEVER used the see through aspect other then on the target range for fun.

Your scope mentioned is a great scope. On three power it would have a good field of vision for close up shooting. For that reason I would look at getting the scope as low to the barrel as possible. Even if that means removing the rear sight. Set them in a safe place and if you ever decide to sell the rifle and keep the scope, you have brand new never been damaged rear sights to put back on the rifle.

Another reason I do not like the see through mounts is it puts the scope too high off the stock. The way to accuracy is consistency. That even relates to head placement on the stock. When you have a high scope it seems you are always lifting your head from time to time to get that perfect sight picture. There is no consistency in that, hence a lack of accuracy will and can result.

If I wanted to go with the quick release rings, be sure to get a matching set of bases. I made that mistake with standard weaver bases and Burris Quick release rings. I never could get it to come back to true zero after taking the scope on and off. Others have told me my mistake was not getting matching bases. They are probably right. Also the quick release does make it easier to clean not only the rifle but the scope as well. Scopes suffer fowling from blow back out of the breech. It is much easier to clean that scope when you can remove it.

So in your case I would pull the rear sight and look into some quality Leupold bases and quick release rings. Mount that scope as low to the barrel as possible and practice with it. I think you would be most satisfied for your sporting goods dollar...

Just my opinion mind you..
Old 11-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use magnum powder charges of 777 with see-thru rings.... no problems.

Also use them for my .300 WSM centerfire & 3" sabot-slug shotgun.

My guns never leave home without them.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:16 PM

thank you guys for your wonderful inputs. Therefore, Leupold detachable scope ring it is . It is a big help to me since the ML deer season in my area is about to begin.
khuengo
Old 11-13-2005, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Avoid those "see-thru" contraptions like the plague! In effect, they make your scope into an "auxiliary" sight by putting it up out of the line of sight of your rifle, making it necessary for you to have to crane your neck to see through the scope. This gets your cheek up into the air, unsupported by the comb! NOT GOOD!!

In addition, they are relatively weak due to the small amount of metal, (usually aluminum) in the rings that hold them up in the air. Also NOT GOOD!

If you are worried that you might have to resort to iron sights when something happens to your scope (a very remote possibility!!), get a good quick-detachable scope mount that will allow you to jerk the scope off if needed, and that returns to zero when you take it off and put it back on!

Those Leup. mounts you mention will be great!!
Old 11-13-2005, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

I have already had this discussion with Caygad and I detrmined that one of the causes of my inconsistant groups was that I could not get a solid and consistant face mount on the stock with the see through mounts. I have ordered Leupold Quick Release mounts and medium height rings. I also just bought a Nikon Buckmasters 3-9X40 scope for my Knight Bighorn. I know this setup will be more consistant than the see through mounts. I am leaving the rear sights on, because my son wants to use the the rifle durng primitive weapons season. I use my TC Renagade during that season. I am toying with the idea of buying an Omega or another Bighorn and permanently mounting a scope with low mounts and no rear sights on that one. Trying to justify three ML to the wife! I showed her a pick of just one section of Caygad's gun rack. I think it might have softened her up a little bit. She is pretty understanding when it comes to my hobbies.