Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Care of meat before freezing

Old 10-23-2002, 08:38 PM

Default Care of meat before freezing

I have a deboned deer in the fridge,in plastic bags. How long can it stay in this condition safely before putting it in the freezer? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to leaving it for 4 or 5 days before packaging for freezing? Is this any different than hanging the deer outside for aging? Some blood is collecting in the bottom of the bag. I just as soon have this happen before freezing but I'm wondering if keeping the meat moist for this long is OK.

Old 10-23-2002, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Care of meat before freezing

First off aging a deer....Myth. This has no truth nor value. Just package it and freeze it, the sooner the better.

Old 10-23-2002, 09:02 PM

every one has there own way of doing it. I put mine on ice,draning the water daily for 4 to 5 days. then process it.

I have tried it every way possible over the past 40 years. the ice chest way it the best I have found.

ageing it is deffiently not a myth. it helps the taste and tenderness of the meat. that is if done right. the handling of the animal when it is shot alway to the table is why it is good or bad.
just my 2 cents,there are 98 more!!!!

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Skeeter, I differ with you, the purpose of hanging venison/beef is to break down the enzyemes prior to freezing, in which is a way of ageing meat at a slow process, ask your butcher if you doubt my verasity. Many times if a cooler is not avaliable or weather is not cool enough, then by all means cool it down useing ice. I once put a quartered up deer in the fridge in trash bags and the deer meat that was on the bottom of the pile was not getting cool enough and I almost lost some prior to freezeing. Make sure that the meat is not piled on top of each other and that theres a good layer of ice or cold air circulation going between them. But by all means I would hang it prior to freezeing.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:05 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]