Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Freezing deer meat?

Old 08-16-2005, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Freezing deer meat?

Any body have a clue how long deer meat will last in a regular freezer / fridge.

I dont have a deep freezer yet. I will get one soon though!...Hopefully.

Thanks

Old 08-16-2005, 09:56 PM

Default RE: Freezing deer meat?

Id say about 6-8 months
Good Luck
Old 08-17-2005, 06:04 AM

I use a vacume sealer.we found some that was put in in Dec. of 2001, it was just as good as if it were last year.
it was just some we had passed over.it usuall doesn't last that long around our house.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like moosehunter said 6-8 months, but like Tree climber, I have a vacum Packer and just found a pack from the 03 season. (season before last) and it's like pudding. My T Fine.
I'd invest in one if I were you. I'd always rather go into the hunting season with some goodvenison in the freezer, rather than none. Takes the pressure off if you know what I mean.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dito on that - Vac it and mark date with a perm felt tip marker. I've kept venison as long as long as 2 yrs. As fresh as day it was packed. This method not only prevents freezer burn but keeps any unwanted freezer odors OUT. Also great for Venison stew,chili,green beans etc...I've just about worn my out.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies evryone. I definately know what you mean about pressure.lol Keep in mind I was in club for years and got tired of the politics and was left with no where to hunt. I hunted for two years and killed nothing but time!
I got lucky last year and shot a nice 8 pointer with my bow and then later a doe with my shotgun. I am the kind of person who gets thier feeling hurt when someone else offers you deer meat cause you havent killed anything! []
Old 08-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know for sure about a standup freezer/fridge. We have kept deer meat in our deep freezer for 5-6 years without having problems. Of course, for matters of clarification, they were in there that long as they were buried under peas, frozen dinners, and the like...
Old 08-18-2005, 09:23 PM

For those that vacuum seal... What is your process? Freeze meat a little to reduce the liquid then vacuum seal it? I have one of those food saver deals and have to be careful about the liquids sliding up to the melting strip. If it sneaks up there it can compromise the seal.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Piney
Old 08-19-2005, 06:36 AM

MDPiney: if you put it in a collender to drain just befor vacuming it helps,also you can take a paper towel and fold it several times and place it in the bag after the meet it will catch any liquid befor it gets to the channel.that works great.
with things like berries that will mash,we put them in the freezerfor a few hrs. then vac.

you can even vac. stews; graveys and things like that if you put into a container the size of you bags and freeze,then take out and vac right then.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Piney, anything liquid or wet I freeze first. That includes Venison, Fish and even Stringbeans,after they've been blanched.

Quick Reply: Freezing deer meat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.