Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scope or Iron Sites

Old 03-04-2006, 11:14 PM

Default RE: Scope or Iron Sites

Ive been curious for a while about those scopes that mount a foot more forward than ordianry ones. Like the ones seen on those scout rifles with about 1-4 times magnification.
Does anyone use them? Are they faster? Are they otherwise any good?
Old 03-05-2006, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

I have the Ruger M77 Frontier Rifle with a Buris 1-4x scope on it (mounted forward of the receiver. It definately is easier to aquire your target than a "normal" scope, but still not as fast as a red dot or open sights. Actually my wife uses the gun, because to me the length of pull is too short an honestly I like to have my scope mounted on the receiver. Neat little set-up though. She got her first deer with it this year, an absolute perfect shot, but it was not off-hand. By the way, the Frontier I own is in .243.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:47 AM

Does anyone else look thru the scope with both eyes open? I use to close one eye and have learned from my uncle many many years ago to keep both eyes open when useing a scope.It wasn't that hard for me to learn to do and it helps keeps your eye on the animal and in the scope at the same time.It is actually pretty neat and works well.It's like pointing your finger at a dot and seeing thru your finger untill you close one of your eyes.You don't see the dot anymore untill you close your other eye and open your dominate one. I also do this with the pins on my bow.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:53 AM

Usually they are some sort of pistol scope if they are that far upfront. I had one on a pellet gun I had years ago because I wanted it mounted on the barrel vrs the reciever of the rifle. They make regular scopes which are around 3 inches or so, then shotgun scopes that are over 4 inches and then you get into the pistol type scopes. They work ok at lower powers, you get to 4 power or above and the are a bit hard to line up without having the lens black out on you. The alignment to your eye becomes more critical as the power and distance increases.

Another thing to consider with scopes is the parallax. While they may focus on the same plain they are not accurate at all ranges. Most rifle scopes are set for around 100 yards. At closer distances the parallax will be off. If you are not perfectly lined up with the scope every time the bullet will not strike the same spot. This increases with magnification as well. This is why Adjustable Objectives or parallax correction is so popular with target shooters or high powered scopes. They are more precise, but take longer to focus for the shot.

You can check for this by putting your scope in a rest and aiming at targets at different distances and moving your head around while looking thru the scope (do not move the rifle). If your scope is not parallax free at that distance the cross hairs will move in relationship to the target. This is the amount your shot could be off.

So a quick shot up close with a scope set for 100 yards may not be any more accurate then open sights will be. Depending on how good your shooting form is and how your scope is mounted. Another reason why see thru mounts can cause problems. It makes it difficult to have a proper cheek weld to the stock in order to have repeatable form from shot to shot. Of course they will be plenty accurate to kill deer at moderate distances. I just wouldn't enter a shooting contest with high rise scope mounts and a non parallax adjustable scope is all. Open sights sit very low on the rifle and are much quicker to line up on when you snap the rifle up quickly.

Paul
Old 03-05-2006, 08:59 AM

I shoot with both eyes open as well unless the power is pretty high, like above 10X. I never take my eyes off the target either even when using a scope. I look at the target and then bring the weapon up into view. I do the same with a bow. Always focus on the target, not the sights.

Paul
Old 03-05-2006, 10:21 AM

So ifIm faster with my scope than with open sights, a scout scope might make me whizzing. I might try a 1-3 times shotgun.
I appreciate your input newguy and yours too Paul. Always informative!Sorry for the hijack.

As for using both eyes I cant do it. I guess it causes muscle tension to keep one eye closed but I have never felt comfortable with it. As my left eye is, ever so slightly, dominant I must keep it atleast half closed even when I shoot my shotgun.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:55 PM

If you are used to shooting a more powerful scope a lower power quality scope will help for sure. Your eyes will focus quicker, it will be less likely to black out if you are off center and parallax will be less of an issue. You will also have a wider field of veiw in most cases. I don't think putting the scope farther out in front of you will help any though. A shotgun scope will not be that much of an issue, but if you get one like a foot out in front of you I don't think it will quicker at all, if anything slower.

I here what you are saying about the eye dominance issue, you really don't have a choice but to close it in that case. Some that works well when target shooting though is an eye patch, or wear a ball cap and turn it so it covers your left eye when shoot. Not going to do you much good hunting though.

Paul