Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Iron Sights or Scope

Old 01-22-2003, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default Iron Sights or Scope

I have a lever action rifle and will be shooting deer at 100 yards or less. I am curious to know how many people would use the iron sights that come on the gun over putting a scope on this gun?
Old 01-22-2003, 06:53 AM

Default RE: Iron Sights or Scope

For me....it would depend on the type of cover and terrain in the area. Very brushy and I'd get it scoped ... Very open with minimal brush and undergrowth and I'd go iron sites. Other factors would be "How good is my eyesite?" & ""Can I make full use of the longest shooting lane I have available without a scope?" Good luck with whatever sighting system you choose to go with!
Old 01-22-2003, 06:59 AM

Scope all the way. There are very few hunting conditions where iron sights are better. Useing a 1.5x4 variable set 1.5 will allow you to make quick, accurate shots at close range if the needed.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get a 4X Leupold.

Old 01-22-2003, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the time I prefer to use a scope ,but in heavy cover it can also be a handicap on moving game . If it is pretty brushy it would be a tossup for me ,but I would more than likely go with open sights
Old 01-23-2003, 01:41 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-23-2003, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

The problem with some reddot scopes is the battery doen't last that long . My hunting partner missed a nice buck this year because he had his scope shut off to save his battery .Just wasn't ready when he needed it .I believe it is the one by leupold ,not a cheap scope ,just hard on the batteries .
Old 01-24-2003, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

DG/HALCON What kind of distances are these red dot scopes good for? When you say it's hard on batteries, how long are you talking about (a set of batteries every hunt, other hunt, four hunts, whole season,...) Any other brands besides leupold?
Old 01-24-2003, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go with iron sights...If nothing else just to be different.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 01-24-2003, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

LA I don't use my reddot that much over a 100 yards because the dot covers 4" at that point . I have never hunted with one but my partner does and he says if he leaves it on all the time it doesn't last very long . I know he changed the battery twice ,then bought a new scope instead this season .

Quick Reply: Iron Sights or Scope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.