Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scope or Iron Sites

Old 02-28-2006, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default Scope or Iron Sites

I have iron sites now I was just wondering if its worth going out and by a scope for deer hunting. If i should buy a scope what kind.
Thanks
Old 02-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scope or Iron Sites

Of course, NO sights are mandatory. You could just point and the bullet would tend to go where you were pointing, right? Iron sights are an improvement on this -- peep sights are an improvement on open sights, except when it is dark or the game is running. Obviously you can hunt successfully with iron sights -- either open sights or peep sights. What you want to do is understand what a scope does for you and ask is the money worth the advantages provided by a scope?

First the DISadvantages of a scope. A scope adds weight (can be a disadvantage in terms of muscle strain and fatigue, can be a benefit in dampening out rifle recoil and steadying hold when taking a shot). A scope adds bulk which can get hung up on brush. A scope can become damaged and if you are depending on the scope, you are out of luck until the scope is fixed. Of course, the same can be said for iron sights, but I think iron sights may be less subject to damage and failure than scopes.

Now the advantages. A GOOD scope helps you target in limited light -- deep woods, twilight conditions at dawn and dusk, overcast days. A scope eases the task of aiming in that the quarry and the crosshairs are optically in the same plane and your eye doesn't have to change focus to align these properly to make the shot. The cross hairs are a more DEFINITE targeting mechanism than iron sights. The magnification of the scope again provides a more exact targeting ability.

If you are using a big game rifle, a cheap scope may not hold up very well. Imagine that shooting a rifle is somewhat akin to hitting the scope with a hammer along the long axis of the scope. The scope has to be a quality scope to hold up for very long. Cheap scopes are more prone to allowing moisture to penetrate -- water vapor, as on a humid day -- which will then fog when your scope cools.

My own thinking is that if you can afford a good scope, heck yes, buy the scope. You'll never regret it. On the other hand, if you have hunted for a long time with iron sights and are successful in the kind of hunting you do when using iron sights . . . maybe you are good to go with just iron sights.

If you should someday pickup some other kind of hunting, however, you might reconsider the scope. For example, if you deer hunt in the eastern woods with a .30-30 with open sights and find them entirely satisfactory for that kind of hunting, you might think about using a scoped rifle if you should ever go to Wyoming for a pronghorn antelope hunt or for an elk hunt.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good points made, but I would definately go with a scope. Just make sure you don't go the cheap route. If you want a good scope but don't want to spend a fortune I have a suggestion. There are many good mid-grade scopes on the market. One of my favorites is the Simmons Aetec. It will cost you about 200.00 to 250.00 on average depending on what magnification you get and where you get it. They have a new one out called the Aetec Master Series. You can get a 4 by 14 44 mil. lens for 220.00 at Bass Pro. A 10 power will be a little cheaper. I have a 3 by 12 44 mil. on one of my rifles and I love it. I have never had any problems with it. It's a really good scope for the money. Nikon also makes some pretty good mid-level scopes.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:43 AM

Some good points made earlier but there were a few more pros for Iron Sites.

They are of course quite tough. They are connected directly to the weapon so unlikely to be "banged" loose without a serious blow. They are the quickest to use on close or moving game. They are never "out of focus" and never fog up. They cost nothing, as they come with the weapon (usually). They never "bite" you when shooting from an akward position. You don't have to lose sight of the animal when bringing the weapon up either, with scopes you often have to "find" the animal again if you have any kind of magnification turned up.

I hunt both, I prefer open sites for still hunting and working in thick cover. I prefer scopes if I expect to be shooting at animals in excess of 75 yards or if I am in a fixed spot.

You definitely don't "NEED" a scope, but depending on how you like to hunt and where you hunt they may help you be more accurate.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

Iron all the way scopes are for people who cant hit a deer
Old 02-28-2006, 01:27 PM

Since my rifle didn't come with open sights I was forced to use a scope. Scopes are good for distance but I hunt thick timber and it is very hard to get a deer in your scope before it takes off. I was thinking of buying a 30 30 and using it without a scope for brush hunting. Good luck
Old 02-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

hey thanks for replaying to my question but when you said i should pickup another kind of hunting. well i do i hount geese ducks turkeys and upland birds also sometimes small game thanks for your reply though
Old 02-28-2006, 02:54 PM

Some of us older guys have noticed that our arms have gotten shorter as we age. I can't see well enough through iron sights, or even through fiber optic sights, to feel comfortable that I will be able to make an ethical kill at 100 yards. So if I am hunting with a rifle, I am using a scope. I like the Nikon scopes as well, especially the Buckmaster. I have them on my Tika 7mm Rem. Magnum and my T/C 50 cal Omega. Lifetime warranty, and around $200 as I recall the last time I bought one. I also have a Nikon Prostaff that I got for less on my Marlin 30-30. It does not have as many features, but it has the same warranty and is not cheap, just less expensive.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

i shoot better with iron sights then i do with a scope
Old 02-28-2006, 04:15 PM

Depends on what type of hunting you are going to do and what type of scope you are talking about. If they will be close fast shots you don't really need one and the open sights will most likely be quicker for you.

Paul

Quick Reply: Scope or Iron Sites

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.