Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scope or Iron Sites

Old 03-01-2006, 07:04 AM

Default RE: Scope or Iron Sites

Newguy, a "scope" does not insureor even aid in making more humane kills over iron sites. That is purely in the hands of the hunter. Now I agree that very few open site guys are hitting apples at 300 yards and quarters at 100, but the truth is very few "scope" users are doing it either. In my experience many deer hunters with scoped rifles would be very happy to hit an apple at 100 yards. I also know many open site guys who can put every shot into an apple off hand. My point is not that open sites are more accurate, as they generally are not, but that accuracy originates from the shooter.

I will admit it is usually easier for guys who don't shoot often to be more accurate with a scope, but don't knock iron sites as less "humane". Some of the absolute most deadly deer killers I know only use open sites.

As far as scopes being "quicker" to shoulder and aim, I think with anything this can be practiced until it is second nature. BUT, if you look at the majority of weapons used to hunt animals that may charge, especially in tight quarters, and I'll show you a whole rackful of open site rifles!
Old 03-01-2006, 08:09 AM

Good point MA Jay
One clear disadvantage that scopes have is that they tend to worsen recoil. I put a scope on my .416 and golly how much more I notices recoil now. I have a poor stock weld now. Im still faster with it thouhg.

Not many wing shooters have scopes so if accuracy is of no importance I guess scopes can slow one down. Many hunters have them on their combination guns and shoot jumping rabbits with scopes. Im agree with you that comfort,confidenceand training is the bigger issue.

Old 03-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Scope for me.In terms ofhunting I prefer variable scopes, this way I can adjust the power setting to the situation. Many times it sits in the mid range area but should I need more or less in the field it is a crank away. For my situation2-10x scopesfor big game use. If you hunt dense/tight areas mostly a low variable may be a better option.

As said see thru mounts are not the "best" option. Theory is decent enough but in practical terms problems exist as Stubblejumper mentioned.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

Using a scope nearly guarantees a humane kill for most hunters.

Scopes ARE inherently more accurate. Iron sights rely on your ability to align three points with your line of vision (front and rear sight and target). Human optical ability does not allow for this, you are only able to focus on two points. This is why when training you have to align the front and rear sight, then put the front sight on the target. With a scope this isa non-issue since you are only working in two planes.

The "average" hunter has no business in my opinion in using open sights for shots further than 50 yards. Having said that, if you practice and can hit an 8-inch plate further out than that on every shot than you have an my opinion the ability to drop a deer humanely, if not, you shouldn't be taking that shot. Same goes for scope hunters.

It is not that I have a problem with open sights, I just have a problem with hunters thinking they can hit deer with their sights without practice, and open sights obviously require significantly more practice.

Old 03-01-2006, 02:16 PM

Using a scope nearly guarantees a humane kill for most hunters.
Newguy, if it were only so easy!

Scopes require as much practice as iron sites. If anything, after practicing they should strecth your range.

Seen this?

http://www.azodchat.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10077
Old 03-01-2006, 02:18 PM

I once had a scope on my shotgun, was walking to my stand and scared a big buck up, he would have been dead had i only had open sites. couldn't find him in my scope.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:53 PM

I was in a hurry on my first post, I will expand on it now that I have time. I think it really depends on what you are comfortable with and what type of hunting you are doing.

Pretty much every one of my guns has a scope on it. I just like them and tend to shoot well with them. I have scopes from 1.75 up to 20 power depending on what the rifle is and what I want to do with it. However I don't shoot off hand very often and I don't hunt fast moving or dangerous game. ( with a rifle)

As far as a low powered scope being as quick as open sights, I doubt it. It might be quick enough, but no way it's as fast. I don't see too many hunting birds, bunnies or shooting skeet with 2 power scopes. There might be a few that can do it but most don't shoot nearly enough to do anything like that. I have a 1.75 scope on my slug gun and open fiber optics sights on my turkey gun. The open sights are easier to get on target fast and keep them there.

I'm not a big fan of see thru mounts either. They just promote poor form is all. Figure out what you want to do with the rifle and go with one or the other. Maybe a red dot would be a decent compromise.

In no way does a scope ensure you will hit your target or make a humane kill. As a matter of fact many new shooters shoot better with open sights, especially off hand. With open sights it seems like you can hold the gun more steady because you can't see the movement. Thus you don't fight it as much and don't take as long to aim. Use a powered scope and you can see movement very well, and the higher the power the worse it is. This tends to make people anxious and they over compensate taking way to long to aim. Then you get tired and your form falls apart.

I would say inside of 75 yards in thick brush and hard to aquire targets open sights would work well, especially off hand. Now at longer distances a scope would be nice and a rest would be even better.

The dissadvantages to a scope are Price, weight, height/obtrusiveness, and they are more fragile than good open sights. I have also never had open sights fog up on me in crappy conditions either.

Keep in mind I am talking decent well defined easy to adjust open sights. Not cheap crappy ones.

Paul
Old 03-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Uhhh... Yeah right... You are trying to tell me you could hit an apple at 300 yards with open sights? Or a quarter at 100 yards? This can be done with a scope!
im not sayin i can hit an apple at 300 yards for some reason i shoot better wiht open sights. now you can say all you want about me not bein a better shooter with open sights but thats not gonna change anything, you've never seen me shoot, or you've never seen me period. people are dif in this world different things work for different people. for me it happens to be iron sights. now im leavin it at that and im gonna continue shooting with iron sights.
have a good day
Old 03-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

What about "see thru"scope rings.Best of both worlds.
Not really.The scope is mounted so high that you can't get a proper cheek position on the stock and see through mounts are much weaker than a good low mount.
I've never had a problem with mine,had it for many years on my 30-30.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

In no way does a scope ensure you will hit your target or make a humane kill. As a matter of fact many new shooters shoot better with open sights, especially off hand. With open sights it seems like you can hold the gun more steady because you can't see the movement. Thus you don't fight it as much and don't take as long to aim. Use a powered scope and you can see movement very well, and the higher the power the worse it is. This tends to make people anxious and they over compensate taking way to long to aim. Then you get tired and your form falls apart.
Again, laws of human anatomy... Your eye can not physically focus on three planes. Therefore intrinsically every human has a better opportunity to hit the target with a scope.

Also are you forgetting that you have to cover half of your target when attempting to shoot with open sights (if in the twelve O'clock position). Furthermore are you trying to say that it is difficult to put a simple cross-hair on a target as opposed to having align front and rear sights.

I have NEVER seen a new shooter be a better shot with open sights than with scoped. Also let's not forget that newer rifles are moving towards shorter bull barrels which will allow for a smaller sight radius and be more difficult foropen sights.

Quick Reply: Scope or Iron Sites

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.