Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Big Buck ..Broken Rack ..What To Do? >

Big Buck ..Broken Rack ..What To Do?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I would have it repaired
9.09%
I would leave it like I shot it
90.91%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Big Buck ..Broken Rack ..What To Do?

Old 02-21-2006, 06:22 PM

Default RE: Big Buck ..Broken Rack ..What To Do?

TXhighrack
I am postingpictures of my 2004 and 2005 Oklahoma muzzleloader bucks both of which have broken points.The 2004 buck gross scored 178, and the 2005 grossed 140. First of all, I watched both deer before I pulled the trigger and had no idea that anything was broken, but I find it hard to believe that you oranyone here would pass on either of these bucks because of broken tines.
The 140" I would have passed. We have alot of deer that size down here and isint anything to excited about. The 178" would be a different story. Brokenbeamsor busted off tines will normally get the buck a pass. Minor things like broken tips or browtines dont matter as much. The bigger the buck is, the more inches he can have broken off and it dosent look as bad or is as noticable. But I've passed big bucks before because they had a G2 busted in half or something similar...
Old 02-21-2006, 08:56 PM

Got to leave it how you shot it. NOTHING IS PERFECT
Old 02-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

TXhighrack
Where in Texas are you hunting that has an abundance of 140" deer? I live and hunt in Nacogdoches, and on my place a 140" is a trophy.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:52 PM

Where in Texas are you hunting that has an abundance of 140" deer? I live and hunt in Nacogdoches, and on my place a 140" is a trophy.
Nacogdoches is east Texas,a 140 class buck is a "trophy" for that area. Down in south Texas a 140 class buck would get passed. Out around Laredo,Cotulla, &the Freer area most hunters hold outfor something that is matureand has a big set of horns on its head. I've been on ranches in the area in whichthe hunters wont shoot or consider anybuck a trophy unless they are over the 160" mark. Well managed lands produce good hunting....
Old 02-22-2006, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

TXhighrack
I went back and read your posts on the Fair Chase thread, and I understand where you hunt now. I have hunted places around Cotulla and Dilley since the mid 1980's, and all of south Texas is not filled with 140-160 class deer. Good luck and happy hunting, I am out of this discussion!
Old 02-22-2006, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

I got this buck a long, long time ago.

Windwalker I think thats a great mount ...and just proves that the "trophy" is in the eye of the beholder ...GREAT job !

dd
Old 02-22-2006, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

I would not rebuild the rack. I shot a buck this year, certainly not a booner that had his left side broken above the brow tine so I had him done as euro mount and he looks cool. He was a fighter in the woods and as I honor him now he will stay the same. (see birthday buck post 11-05)
Old 02-22-2006, 02:18 PM

i don't think that i will ever change a deer that i shot.i want to remember the way it was when i shot it.i would just feel like i was cheating.please don't get me wrong i don't think its wrong or anything or don't think that it doesn't look good but just that i would never do it.those who do it, it can look good, but i wouldn't do it.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

It would depend on the rack. I see no shame in wanting him in his full glory. There are no rules on this so it cant be cheating. I passed an 8 pointer that had four tines over over 12 inches with the G2s being over 15 inches. When I finally got a chance at him he had broke one of the G2s off so I let him go. The bad part is he got killed in gun season.
But yes I would in some cases have it fixed.