Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 tree stand height and shooting lanes.... >

tree stand height and shooting lanes....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

tree stand height and shooting lanes....

Old 02-21-2006, 02:32 PM

Default tree stand height and shooting lanes....

hey,

damn i gotta lotta questions dont i, lol, but thats cuz i always get good answers . this one is probably simple to answer, how high do u guys like to hand a stand? I know it prob depends on the exact situation, but what is a good guess....high, low? or does it depends totally on the land. Also, i know what shootin lanes are, generally, but can someone explain them a little more. thanka a alot guys
Old 02-21-2006, 03:23 PM

Default RE: tree stand height and shooting lanes....

hi geter, I have hunted in stands as low as 7 or 8 feet and hunted as high as 14 1/2 feet. some guys like to hunt higher of course and will hunt between 15-20 feet.I have even heard some guys claim that they will hunt as high as 40 feet in the air. ( I dont think I would go that high) I wouldn't trust the stability of the main limbs on the tree unless it was absolutely a huge tree. In the same note, I have talked to some old timers that said that they have sat on branches (only 4 feet off the ground)

I think its up to you and what you feel comfortable with. (when the wind is really rippin in my woods, I am more comfortable in my 7-8 foot stands than my 14 1/2 foot stand. If the wind is too bad and trees start falling I will even abandon the woods completely and hunt edges of feilds or openings in brush lots.

Be safe and find what height fits your situation and also what you are comfortable with.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

We have a number of 16 foot ladder stands and that is about the minimum I like to use. If I use a climber I get as high as I can see good. I've been to 50 feet, but that was in a good pine overlooking some rolling clearcut land.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:14 PM

I normally hunt from my treelounge at 20 to 30 feet on a piece of high ground to keep the swirling wind from giving me away. So far it has worked well!
Old 02-21-2006, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

my norm is also 20-30 feet. sometimes, if the land allows, i'll hunt up to 40 feet. problem i have had with hunting high, is you'll get above the tree canopy and the extra height does you know good. so i try to hunt as high as my field of view allows.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:51 PM

I hunt around 25 feet. Used to have a 15 foot ladder stand and shot deer out if it but would get spoted alot and winded by deer. Since I went higher last year I was never spoted by a deer and was only winded by a nice six pointer once. The higher you go your chances of getting caught go down. I personally think anything over 30 feet would not be needed but I also hunt flat ground too. My opinion of a shoting lane is when you sit in thick stuff you clear out the branches to open up a "shooting lane" but I could be wrong cause I had scrapes and rubs mixed up until three years ago.[&:]
Old 02-21-2006, 08:52 PM

I hunt from bout 12-16 ft in the air.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm good to about 15 feet in a portable. In a permanent platform stand with more elbow room up to 25 feet.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:53 PM

25ft. for me! jersey deer check the trees!! i always look fora small tree in front of tree i'm hunting out of to breakup my outline and if i have to i'll makeup back cover too!! old x-mas trees work great!!
Old 02-22-2006, 06:03 PM

as far as height goes, I would go as high as you feel comfortable. I dont thinkt there is any magic height it all varies on the terrian and the person. I personally believe that higher is better, reduces scent contamination and chances of being picked out. But at the same time it may also greatly reduce the chance of a double lung shot because of the angle. I would consider a shooting lane anything that makes for a clean shot out to your maximum shooting range. It could be as little as hole big as a basketball or a two track lane. I generally set up several good shooting lanes on every stand. Just remember notto take out to much, the least the better.

[/align]

Quick Reply: tree stand height and shooting lanes....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.