Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Big Buck ..Broken Rack ..What To Do? >

Big Buck ..Broken Rack ..What To Do?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I would have it repaired
9.09%
I would leave it like I shot it
90.91%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Big Buck ..Broken Rack ..What To Do?

Old 02-18-2006, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big Buck ..Broken Rack ..What To Do?

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

The deer on the left in the picture has it's right G2 broken in half.

Is that a singing fish on your wall??????

If it is, talk about character.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

i would leave as it was when shoot i saw a buck that a guy had the horns stained 2 look like a chocalote horn buck it was hoorible also if they broke while trying 2 run after shoot and i found broken tine then maybe repair the orgianl piece but only that
Old 02-18-2006, 11:25 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

The deer on the left in the picture has it's right G2 broken in half.

Is that a singing fish on your wall??????

If it is, talk about character.
Yep! That's old "Big Mouth Billy Bass" himself. My kids (5 & 7) get a kick out of him.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:40 PM

If a buck has more then a few inches of his rack broken off, then I will NOT shoot him. I've killed deer in the past that had minor things broken, i.e brow tines and antler tips, some times I had them repaired and other times I didnt.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only time I would consider a repair is if the rack got broken by the shot or during a death run and the other piece was found. Otherwise, it's not the deer you shot.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

leave it like it is
Old 02-20-2006, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I killed a 13 point in Oklahoma during their 2005muzzleloader season that should have grossed around 145, but he had his G2 broken off at the beam. I would have mounted him had it not been for the broken tine. He would have been my second largest buck ever behind my 2004 178" buck and right in front of my 1997 140" buck. I killed a nice 10 point (120")here in Texas and decided to mount him instead. I am going to do a European mount on my Oklahoma buck. I have had several friends suggest that I get the rack repaired, but that would not be the deer that I killed. For me, what he has when he hits the ground is the way he stays.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:00 PM

I personally couldnt bring myself to shoot a buck who had broken tines. I want to shoot bucks who have complete racks. If he has a few broken points then he will almost always will get the pass card......
Old 02-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

Biggest buck I ever shot has a big chunk missing right at the junction of the left g2 and the main beam. it is the perfect size of a 12gage slug The slug alsobroke off 2/3 of the right g2. it hangs on my wall in the same condition.Great conversation piece. I wonder if whoever shot him first was looking at anything other than the rack?

Charlie
Old 02-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TXhighrack

I personally couldnt bring myself to shoot a buck who had broken tines. I want to shoot bucks who have complete racks. If he has a few broken points then he will almost always will get the pass card......
TXhighrack
I am postingpictures of my 2004 and 2005 Oklahoma muzzleloader bucks both of which have broken points.The 2004 buck gross scored 178, and the 2005 grossed 140. First of all, I watched both deer before I pulled the trigger and had no idea that anything was broken, but I find it hard to believe that you oranyone here would pass on either of these bucks because of broken tines.

Quick Reply: Big Buck ..Broken Rack ..What To Do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.