Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Drawing the Line III

Old 02-08-2006, 07:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Drawing the Line III

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

There are high fence ranches in Texas that are so big that deer can live their whole lives without ever coming withinsight of the fence. But you're right. Regardless of the size of the property, those are just pets. No way they could be wild, even though they have no idea they are enclosed and they behave exactly the same way as if there had been no enclosure.
What's the need for the fence then?
For one thing, it keeps out trespassers. At the ranch I hunt, we regularly have folks cross the low-fence and hunt our blinds on weekdays when they know the tenants aren't around.

allNew Yorkers are pompous, self-righteous, holier-than-thou, know-it-alls.
You're just full of stereotypes aren't you. Southerners are toothless hillbillies. Norherners are pompous, self righteous, holier than thou, know it alls. Where do you fit into the grand scheme in your perfect little world?
Nice job taking what I said out of context. The very next sentence specifically said that that was not a fair generalization. Where do I fit? Midwesterner transplanted to Texas. I'm perfect.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

For one thing, it keeps out trespassers.
They're not meant to keep the deer inside?
Old 02-08-2006, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

For one thing, it keeps out trespassers. At the ranch I hunt, we regularly have folks cross the low-fence and hunt our blinds on weekdays when they know the tenants aren't around
So these outfits that can afford to put up a high fence that outlines the entire property cannot afford security to monitor the property lines?

Again it goes back to crerating an un-fair advantage from "hunters" who otherwise would probably not hunt because of the effort required and the normally low success rate.

People are free to hunt however they want, but I do not have to accept it or embrace it.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a serious question.

What is the difference/purpose of a high fence compared to a low fence?
Old 02-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am trying to understand the legality and ethics of high fences beyond the issue of fair chase. I mean, wild game is supposed to be a free-ranging public resource. Isn't it pushing it somewhat if the animals are restricted? I guess it would be perfectly fine if one could fence a large area that had no deer in it and then introduce deer that they purchased from a breeder. Beyond that, I don't know. I do know that in southern Illinois, ifpeople tried to high fence their land to trap wild deer on it for their own use, the local hardware stores would sell out of bolt cutters very quickly.Folks would also get downright dyslexic when it came to reading the POSTED signs. Before folks start jumping my case, i am notcondoning any of that, I'm justtelling it like it is.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

With all due respect, what kind of fence can keep out a human trespasser?

Here's my answer:None. Unless you're putting up a maximum-security federal penitentiary-esque razorwire setup with high voltage and shooting towers, you can't keep trespassers out. If they want in there, and they suspect they'll get away with it - they'll get inside.

You can't b.s. me. The fence is to keep all the deer hoarded inside, not to keep people out.

I guess the point of the initial post was to argue that fenced-in deer are not "wild animals," they're livestock. That's a pretty sad commentary on people and their lust to shoot things, but it's true. To each his own, I guess. They make the bed that they have to sleep in.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quicksilver, even if you are a Steelers fan, that was a good post