Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Drawing the Line III

Old 02-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Drawing the Line III

Whatever you say chief. I guess I could really use some lessons from you. Apparently finding high-traffic areas, evidenced by heavily used trails between bedding and feeding areas, scrapes, etc., setting up a blind and waiting to see what comes by isn't hunting to you. So, what exactly do you do? To each his own, and you respect that? Right. Then why the sarcasm? I guess I'll grab my Q-Beam and head over to the zoo now. They've got a nice Kudu anda couple of "wild" elephants that would look nice on my wall.

I'll be leaving now. Apparently no one on a private lease in Texas is a "real" hunter (because that's how pretty much all ofthem hunt)so I'm not qualified to associate with you guys...
Old 02-07-2006, 04:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

Whatever you say chief. I guess I could really use some lessons from you. Apparently finding high-traffic areas, evidenced by heavily used trails between bedding and feeding areas, scrapes, etc., setting up a blind and waiting to see what comes by isn't hunting to you. So, what exactly do you do? To each his own, and you respect that? Right. Then why the sarcasm? I guess I'll grab my Q-Beam and head over to the zoo now. They've got a nice Kudu anda couple of "wild" elephants that would look nice on my wall.

I'll be leaving now. Apparently no one on a private lease in Texas is a "real" hunter (because that's how pretty much all ofthem hunt)so I'm not qualified to associate with you guys...
I.P. don't let some of these guys get to you buddy ... I can assure you that no matter how you hunt or where you hunt someone on here is going to look down on you ... like I always say "to thine on self be true" ..as long as its legal and you find it worth while then enjoy it buddy ...

dd
Old 02-07-2006, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

..as long as its legal and you find it worth while then enjoy it buddy ...

I agree.............. just don't call it hunting![8D]

Old 02-07-2006, 07:02 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

..as long as its legal and you find it worth while then enjoy it buddy ...

I agree.............. just don't call it hunting![8D]

ENCYCLOPEDIA
hunting, act of seeking, following, and killing wild animals for consumption or display.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

obviously whoever wrote that wasn't a hunter You believe everything you read?

Seeking? No need to "seek" when they are in a cage. Eventually they'll come to you.

Following? follow them where? To run into a fence? That could be dangerous. You can't "follow" them very far.

*I'll stick with my original assesment*
Old 02-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

obviously whoever wrote that wasn't a hunter You believe everything you read?

Seeking? No need to "seek" when they are in a cage. Eventually they'll come to you.

Following? follow them where? To run into a fence? That could be dangerous. You can't "follow" them very far.

*I'll stick with my original assesment*

Ny, I was trying to agree with you! I believe in fair chase not penned and cornered game. Where I have hunted for the last 50yrsare 55 and 70,000 acres and some 500,000 and 600,000.
Yes I believe what I read,Seek, Follow and Kill. Thats hunting to me. I have never hunted enclosures or pens, just miles and miles of Seeking, Following and Killing.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one question for you. I am curiousas to your age. It has no relevance as to anything I have told you, I am just curious, I have been away from the boards since spring and need to do some catch-up.
I'm 31 years young.......

Old 02-07-2006, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

The ONLY difference I note between the two is that the deer on the high fenced operation had a larger percentage of older deer. The low fenced ranch, being surrounded by ranches having an "if it's brown, it's down" management policy, has a far lower percentage of mature deer. Other than that, both are essentially the same.

Essentially the same, except the ones in the high fence had no way of escaping.

ENCYCLOPEDIA
hunting, act of seeking, following, and killing wild animals for consumption or display
"act of seeking, following, and killing WILD animals...."
Old 02-07-2006, 11:00 AM

ORIGINAL: GregH

Ahhhhhhyou forgot to mentionenough land to be able topractice these methods ... what if you have permission to only hunt 1 to 200 acres ...and 50% of that is pasture ..then what?

dd

I guess when it comes to this I would still practice QDM and hope for the best. If a young buck comes by I'd let him walk. Chances are that a neighbor will shoot him but the young buck will make the neighbor happier than it will me.
Several times I have let 2 1/2 year old bucks go and shot them the next year. What a difference a year can make on a bucks developement. Sometimes(a lot) when I let bucks walk, I never see them again. Thats the way it goes. I don't shoot deer because if I don't someone else will. I shoot deer that make me happy. If I go a year without, oh well.
Well said Greg. That's what I do myself, being on a smaller farm with a lot of pressure from surrounding properties. It's frustrating at times, as I see young buck killed by guys during gun season, but SOME of those youngin's will make it. I take a doe to eat, and work for a trophy the rest of the season. Sometimes I wish I could"shoot" a tag onto those young buck saying "shoulda let him grow!" maybe some of the other property owners would give it a try.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Bionicrooster

The ONLY difference I note between the two is that the deer on the high fenced operation had a larger percentage of older deer. The low fenced ranch, being surrounded by ranches having an "if it's brown, it's down" management policy, has a far lower percentage of mature deer. Other than that, both are essentially the same.
Essentially the same, except the ones in the high fence had no way of escaping.
That depends on the type of hunting. If your method is to locate a high traffic area, set up a blind and wait to see what shows up, how is it relevant? Escaping is simply the ability to disappear into the nearest thicket, and for what it apparently isn't worth here, the high fenced ranch I hunted on ten years ago was much more heavily wooded than the low fenced property I hunt now. Maybe your definition of escape means to neighboring property where there's no management plan in place, so you can get a shot at every 1 1/2 year old buck that walks by.
ENCYCLOPEDIA
hunting, act of seeking, following, and killing wild animals for consumption or display
"act of seeking, following, and killing WILD animals...."
How do you define wild? If someone fences 500, or 5000, or 500,000, or 5,000,000 acres, are the deer there no longer wild by definition? I see it as a behavioral term. If they'll eat out of your hand, they're no longer wild. But, if they disappear the instant they see your hand swat at a wasp that's buzzing around your ear, they're still wild.

I absolutely agree with everyone here that Jimmy Houston "hunting" a drugged deer in a 3 acre pen is outrageous. But, equating that to all high-fenced hunting is patently absurd. There are a lot of high fenced ranches here in Texas where you could hunt for days and never see a fence.

How do you guys feel about red stag hunting in New Zealand? It's a non-indigenous species, surrounded by a God-made fence, with no ability to escape other than by swimming the Pacific Ocean. Is that OK simply because the fence isn't man-made?

I suspect that a lot of the animosity toward fences is driven by sour grapes. Maybe you are upset because some guy was able to harvest a mature buck behind a fence, that you couldn't harvest when it was 1 1/2 because you were on the wrong side of the fence. Maybe you are upset because you had to hunt a high-pressure, overhunted, public land and didn't even see a doe, much less a mature buck. So, instead of congratulating him on harvesting a nice buck, you mutter a few epithets his way. You tell him he's not a "real" hunter like you are, and all he did was shoot someone's pet. And, in so doing, you are alienating a fellow hunter. Someone who likely makes a pretty good living so that he could afford to hunt private land. Someone who may be politically connected and able to actually accomplish things that help the rest of us. Someone who might be reasonably well-educated and might help break the "inbred, toothless, beer swilling redneck" stereotype with which hunters are saddled in much of the main stream media.

Quick Reply: Drawing the Line III

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.