Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Movement and The Moon

Old 10-18-2002, 11:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer Movement and The Moon

>>>> I'm headed to North Central Kansas Dec 4 - 7 for a much anticipated trophy whitetail hunt. Thought I'd ask some guys who know alot more than me to explain Moon and Sun phase and transition and how that might affect deer movement during my hunt. I've attached N.O. data for Concordia,KS on the date in question. Appreciate your advice. Wednesday
4 December 2002 Central Standard Time

SUN
Begin civil twilight 7:05 a.m.
Sunrise 7:35 a.m.
Sun transit 12:21 p.m.
Sunset 5:07 p.m.
End civil twilight 5:37 p.m.

MOON
Moonset 4:44 p.m. on preceding day
Moonrise 8:01 a.m.
Moon transit 12:48 p.m.
Moonset 5:30 p.m.
Moonrise 9:11 a.m. on following day

New Moon on 4 December 2002 at 1:35 a.m. Central Standard Time.

Old 10-19-2002, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer Movement and The Moon

Check out my posts on how the moon affects hourly/daily deer activity (according to scientific research it doesn't), and how the moon phase affects breeding (according to scientific research of 2,500 does in 11 different states, from 1980-1987 it doesn't). Both topics are on the bowhunting.com portion of the message board.

It's the full moon and perigee of the moon that appear to increase daytime deer movement within a 7 daytime frame. 3 days before to 3 days after the Full Moon; 1-7 days before the perigee. Full moon is Dec. 19, Perigee is Dec. 2 and Dec. 30. You're out of luck.

According to the data I have from biologists in Kansas peak breeding should be Nov. 10-15. You're out of luck again. But, after 10 years of deer research, I would expect to see some older un-bred does coming into estrus again about the time of your hunt, and some 1 year old does and doe fawns in estrus at the time of your hunt.
Peak deer movement times during the fall/early winter are dawn and dusk. Glass a lot, scout a lot, hunt hard, and pray.

If you have more or specific questions post a new topic addressed to T.R., or e-mail me, I'll try to help.

[email protected]
Trinity Mountain Outdoors

T.R. Michels