Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help!!!

Old 10-14-2002, 10:43 PM

Default Help!!!

I hunt in southern Ontario.The corn isn't cut yet and i can only hunt to the edge of the field "crown land".I cant find any tracks in the woods at all.Are the deer living in the middle of the corn or what?Any ideas you people have would be great thank you.

Old 10-15-2002, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help!!!

Not sure. But maybe in a couple weeks I'll come up and help ya out.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

I've been researching corn country deer for 5 years, and writing about der for several publications. I had an article on how to hunt corn country bucks in Buckmasters magazine a few years ago. Deer live in the corn a lot here in Minnesota. However, bucks usually have daytime "core areas" in the woods. Right now most bucks in MN/Ontario are switching from their summer home range to their fall home range. They may move from 1/4 to 10 miles away, depending on where the does, food and fall/winter shelter are. Look for new rubs and scrapes in the woods, when you do you've found where a buck has moved in. If you've got more questions e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll try to help.

T.R. Michels

Edited by - trmichels on 10/15/2002 12:00:10
Old 10-15-2002, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

Deer do bed and eat in the corn but they do leave the corn as well... Check the surrounding woods for water and trails... and buck sign... Bucks are not rubbing on Corn stalks I am sure of it... Good luck!!
Old 10-15-2002, 02:21 PM

It's tough to see deer tracks in southern Ontario because of the little rain we had. I have the same problem, can't see tracks or have to look real hard to find just one. On Sat. I went to check out a corn field that is still up and couldn't find any tracks, but know the deer feed in it, so I went to the river that goes along the corn field and found all kinds of tracks where they walk in the river along the sides and come up to feed. The river is so shallow now because of no rain that the deer use it as a trail.
Go into the corn field and see if you see any areas where the deer are feeding. They usually go in a bit to feed and you will see damaged corn stalks and this is where you might find some tracks.

Old 10-15-2002, 10:14 PM

Thank you I"m going to scout tomorrow afternoon and then sit for the evening.

Old 10-19-2002, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

Moose1
Let us know how you do.

[email protected]

T.R. Michels
Old 10-19-2002, 06:08 PM

If you hadn't had much rain that could be the answer,i would look more at the water end then the food end. swamps ,springs & creek bottoms. Just a thought.

Be safe & good huntin. tanner1