Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Full moon(deer movement), and the rut(for ohio guys) >

Full moon(deer movement), and the rut(for ohio guys)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Full moon(deer movement), and the rut(for ohio guys)

Old 10-08-2003, 11:04 AM

Default Full moon(deer movement), and the rut(for ohio guys)

Hello,
I was wondering what effect a full moon will have on deer movement. Also i was wondering for all you ohio guys if you think the rut will come in early.

THanks
Old 10-08-2003, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Full moon(deer movement), and the rut(for ohio guys)

Looking for the same info. We have a Nov. 1 Ohio hunt scheduled.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:34 PM

So far--the deer have been moving at just before light and just after sundown in my neck of the woods. I haven' t seen any changes in movement with the changing moon phases though. I' m hoping the rut can hold off till the second week of November--since that is my schedules week off!
Old 10-08-2003, 12:40 PM

I read in D&DH that the rut will be a little later than normal this year, but it is expected to be a whopper of a rut!!!! In North American Hunter magaxine, this guy did an article on what days look to be the best to be in the woods this year...he said nov 7-16. I hope this years rut is better than last years' !!!!
Old 10-08-2003, 12:47 PM
Spike

I haven' t seen much change in activity related to moon phases. I have noticed, though, that when the moon is directly overhead in any phase during either the first or last hour of hunting, there is a lot of movement.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:52 PM

It has been my expierience that the full moon period produces NOTHING for me!
Not even sightings.Case in point,I get out almost every night for at least an hour-have been seeing 2 groups of deer,2 mature does with 2 fawns and a small buck traveling with 2 does.I' ve taken 1 mature doe,1 fawn,and the 5 pt. buck.Only 2 outings out of 14 have produced no sightings until this week-Monday and Tuesday I have not seen a single deer! I do use bait and there are other deer in the area,but one of two things are taking place,either they have really patterned me or the damm full moon.As i look back in my records,this has always been the way.I' m hoping for a cold front and the pre-rut which is the best time in my opionion to be afield.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:28 PM
Spike

Hey bigbuck 24, have all those outings been on the same stand? Ya might be hittin' it too hard, resulting in a drop off of activity. As we all know, the best time to hunt a stand is the first time. Activity tends to decline with use.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:30 PM

Here in NJ I' ve seen does moving about almost anytime during the day, but the bucks so far have been nonexistent until just about dusk. This will all change once colder weather comes in for good and the rutt starts.