Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shooting sticks for deer

Old 01-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Spike

Default shooting sticks for deer

i'm interested if anybody is using shooting sticks. if so, i'm interested in recommendations for the best shooting sticks for standing, sitting and kneeling shots. thanks for the input.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: shooting sticks for deer

I use them all the time. I always carry them with me and if Im hutning on the ground I have them ready for long shots with my muzzleloader. I use Stoney Point sticks. I have the kind that come out real quick. My cousin also has Stoney Point but they are the telescoping kind. He likes his and I like mine. So you have to decide which you would like better. However neither one of us has missed with them and we often shoot about 150 yards and a couple times 200 yards.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:06 PM

I find that they are the best thing for quick shots or long shots. Actually I learned a trick from a buddy of mine. Take two old cross country ski poles and tape them together (with black tape preferably) to a spot that is comfortable with you. They are a good walking stick cause they have metal spikes on the bottom and they also stay in the ground well when your going to take a shot. Plus this way is cheaper then going out and buying shooting sticks.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:46 PM

I use them all the time from my blinds.I have two popups. and have made several sets.one set for each window.
we have a bush that is called a sparkleberry,very hard with a lot of forks in them in them. I cut them to the right hight and drill a hole in the bottom,put a small fiberglass rod in the hole.(about 6" sticking out) that sticks in the ground to hold them in the window.you don't have to move the sticks from one window to the other.
3 in each blind would cost an arm and part of the leg.[8D].

sure makes them long shots more comfortable.wouldn't get in my blind without a set.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:33 AM
Typical Buck

Varmint Al's bi-fur-pod.

Can't be beat for any amount of money, in any situation. I've used mine walking, stalking, standing, sitting, in blinds, in tree stands, and just shooting off a car hood.

They do it all.

I've killed deer, turkeys, crows,squirrels, beavers, racoons, dogs, coyotes, chipmunks and muskrats.

I've killed 'em with pistols, rifles, and shotguns but I've killed 'em all off the same set of Varmint Al's bi-fur-pod in about a year and a half since I made my first pair.