Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 buying a property for deer hunting... >

buying a property for deer hunting...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

buying a property for deer hunting...

Old 01-17-2006, 06:36 PM

Default buying a property for deer hunting...

Got a couple questions about buying a property for hunting deer (and whatever else is indigenous and legal). My father in law is nearing retirement, has the house paid off, and will have time on his hands. I was curious then, aside from deer and prime habitat, what are some of the other factors that should go into buying a property solely for outdoor use (he'll probably build a cabin shortly after purchase)? He lives right outside of Baltimore and would have no problems driving up to about 5 hours or so to his property. Where in that radius do you think would be the best places to start looking (I'll be living in Maine, so if you can give me a reason to point him North of Baltimore, by all means, please do so). Thanks for any and all replies.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: buying a property for deer hunting...

perpetual source of surface water if possible. will probably be more expensive of course. You probably need to give financial parameters and desired amount of land and how difficult of an access you're willing to accept for more definitive responses
Old 01-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

A GREAT BEDDING AREA NEAR BY AND A FOOD SOURCE AND A STORE WITIN A TEN MILE RADIUS OF THE CAMP IN CASE YOU RUN OUT OF BE....SODA. AND A WATER SOURCE
Old 01-18-2006, 07:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Allow a large buffer zone between the property and areas where there is a lot of development. A lot of people buy land in a "rural" area, then suddenly find a subdivision going up across the road the next year.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lanse.....thats when you sell to the developers for BIG$$$$.....lol. J/K ...I would look for some ground that has easy access, paved road etc. Some of the best hunting ground where I hunt is landlocked with only a field road for access. Gravel for a 1/2 mile or more drive way will cost a small fortune.