Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I've about had it!!

Old 01-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I've about had it!!

H.B. it might be hard for you to read but I type in bold so I CAN read it ..MY eyesight is NOT what it used to be ...

dd
Old 01-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

No opinion. I have never lived or hunted anywhere that allowed dogs for big game hunting. I have no desire to hunt animals with dogs but for those who do where its legal, I think its fine.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to add one more thing into the equation.

If we as hunters successfully eliminate one type of hunting so that another type of hunting will prosper, then we have not won anything on our part, but have essentially run the football backwards into the endzone for the opposing team (antis). That will mean one less thing they have to worry about when trying to eliminate hunting altogether.

Just something need to think about when they want to make a particular type of hunting illegal.

Marcial
Old 01-09-2006, 12:08 PM

I do not use dogs to hunt but its also not allowed here in ohio. If it was im sure I would at least try it once. I totally agree with SWOSUmike on his post. Also Charlie is right. You cant keep hunting open if you keep taking things away. once its gone it will never come back so for the hunters that want to stop some types of hunting becareful what you wish for, cause after the antis stop it on deer you better bet it will be those poor little bunnys or birds that are next.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

That will mean one less thing they have to worry about when trying to eliminate hunting altogether.
I don't think the Anti's concern themselves with eliminating one style of hunting or another. They want nobody in the woods except the pretty little defenseless animals. They want hunting gone period.

As far as the dogs......... I have no desire to hunt with dogs or over bait. Personaly speaking I don't want the help of a 3rd party for me to harvest a deer. I would get no gratification from a dog kicking up a deer and me shooting it. Same reason I don't take part in deer drives. I get no satisfaction from somebody crashing through the thickets barking, spooking a deer my way, and me shooting it. That's just my personal preference though to each their own.

I understand the points being made in comparing other aids such as treestands, camo, calls, etc..... The only difference with the dogs would be like I stated, it's a 3rd party so to speak. It's a physical aid. IMO that's slightly different than other devices, but all good points......... where do you draw the line on "fair" and "unfair".

I'm not in the least bit knocking hunting with dogs or hunters that do it. I'll be the first to admit I dont' have the slightest clue what's involved because it's never been legal in NY. If it's legal in your area and that's your cup of tea than good luck and knock your socks off. I'm just giving myviews on it.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

NY,

One way of getting rid of an entire practicewhether it be hunting or gun ownershipis gradualism. You marginalize and attack particularaspects of them one by one. In doing so, yougradual weaken the whole thing.

I've never hunted deer with dogs, although I have hunted lots of other stuffwith dogs. I have been involved in one deer drive. The one thing that I learned is that trying to hit a deer running full speed with a shotgun slug isa realchallenge. Also, you may have the aid of other people or dogs, but you also have to fight your way through brush andoften put out a lot of physical effort. Neither driving or huntingdeer with dogs ismy cup of tea. But, I respect both activities.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have my way of deer hunting that I prefer, and it may not belike what everyone else does. I don't feel I have to impose my way of hunting on other people. It is legal, and I find it personally satisfying. In my view, if hunting deer with dogs is legal, it isn't my business to bust the chops of those who like to hunt deer with dogs.

If some people think it is bad to hunt deer with dogs, they should get active in their state politics or at game law public meetings and get the deer hunting regulations changed to outlaw hunting deer with dogs.

Personally, I wonder if deer that has been chased by dogs won't have bad flavor when you cook it. I have always heard that pronghorn which has been run hard before being shot and killed will have a poor quality.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have never hunted with dogs or had the desire. Some places or countries thats the norm, but I learned not to bash someone for doing it. Kinda like hunting over a bait pile, not my cup of tea either, if its LEGAL and you enjoy it, go and get a bruiser! Some people are brought up hunting in all kinds of ways, just because I don't practice it doesn't make it wrong, as long as its legal! I feel most people hunt the way they were taught while being new to the sport and change a little as they become more experienced. Some do and some don't. Like I said if its a legal form of hunting, enjoy, I may not approve, but enjoy. Everybody is different! Remember-Keep it Legal! JMO!
Old 01-09-2006, 01:49 PM

I think the thing about deer is that you really don't need dogs to get them, while pheasants it is part of the norm. An animal like a hog, or in the most relevant case, mountain lions and bob cats, you just are not going to be sucessful on any kind of regular basis if you don't use dogs.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

one guy on here said it would be like setting the woods on fire and shooting the deer as they fled...., as i have stated in the past, i have done it, in some parts of alabama the cover is so thick you would never see a deer any other way, but it is not my prefered method of hunting deer, i prefer a more natural experience, but if it were as easy as some of you are suggesting, there would be no deer in bama, and i assure you we presently have no shortage, although the number of counties in the state where dog hunting is allowed (BTW none of the northern counties allow dogs) a fewer every year, like i mentioned i don't really have any intrest in it, but i think it would be a real shame for it to be out-lawed[&o]

I don't think the Anti's concern themselves with eliminating one style of hunting or another. They want nobody in the woods except the pretty little defenseless animals. They want hunting gone period.
hey nybh i agree with you but it was not that many years ago an anti group went after bow hunters, calling it inhumane, if they had won that battle what would there next target be, like others have mentioned, i don't care for hunting hogs, bear, cats with dogs,(BTW i have never done any of these and they sound exciting to me)but i would never dream of helping to eleminate the practice, i think governing these things should be left up to the hunters and state game mgt. people, they may not do the best job, but i'm willing to bet its better than an out-sider would do..

now the only dogs i like to here run are beagles on rabbits, but if the anti's had there way that would be gone also[&o]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.