Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes - I have ran dogs
27.66%
Yes - I would consider running dogs
19.15%
Yes- And i got a MONSTER buck doing it
12.77%
Hell NO - ITS CHEATING!!!
40.43%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Running Dogs

Old 01-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default Running Dogs

There is a mountian right next to the area I hunt, and they lease it out for people to run dogs. Every saturday it sounds like adamn war is going on up there. Although they do push deer onto our property, I find it to be stupid. I just feel that running dogs is cheating, man up and hunt from a stand, using your skills to find the deer.

What do yall think, have your or would you run dogs?
Old 01-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Running Dogs

Yes, but never on deer, just hogs!
Old 01-01-2006, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Run Rabbits but would like to try it on deer sometimes...i cant see much difference in running dogsvs pushing bush with hunters..its legal in certian counties in Alabama.

dd
Old 01-01-2006, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, I just don’t consider it sporting...
Old 01-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

I have hounds and run lion and bear. The anti hunters are really working to stop this. They pick one thing at a time and just keep pecking away.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:49 AM

I grew up from a small boy running deer with dogs. I am in an area where I cant do it now and it has hurt my hunting skills but there aint nothing like hearing a pack of beagles or a lone bluetick running a deer. I don't see any difference in running coons squrriels rabbits or deer. It is all the same when you come down to talking about cheating. If you were cheating running a deer then why would you not be cheating running a rabbit, coon, fox, hog etc. I use to love working with those dogs. Let me tell you it is not always the easiest thing to hit a deer running 100mph across a road when you only have about a five foot lane to determine what it is and get a shot off. I have missed a many of deer. At least if you are sitting on a stand you know somewhat of where deer are going to come out if they do. When hunting with dogs you have no idea where that deer is going to come out at because the dogs could be a half a mile behind that deer so you could think that the deer is cooming out on one side of a stand of woods where the dogs are while it is ecaping on the other side. Not as easy as people think it is esp in the swamps of carolina. Just my 2 cents
stephen
Old 01-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never heard of it before this year?
Old 01-01-2006, 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: squrlhunter

1.I am in an area where I cant do it now and it has hurt my hunting skills

2. Let me tell you it is not always the easiest thing to hit a deer running 100mph across a road when you only have about a five foot lane to determine what it is and get a shot off.

2 questions.
1. How has not being able to run deer with dogs hurt your hunting skills? I would think your skills would sharpen not being able to use dogs.

2. Shooting deer crossing a road? Is that even legal. I know it isn't here.

Just

Old 01-01-2006, 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

Run Rabbits but would like to try it on deer sometimes...i cant see much difference in running dogsvs pushing bush with hunters..its legal in certian counties in Alabama.

dd
I agree DD, I don't see much difference between the 2 either. It is legal in alot of counties in NC. I have done it and it is not as easy as someone who has never tried it might think it would be. Kinda of like hunting over a food plot or corn pile...done that too and that's no slam dunk either. I don't like the fact that some of the people doing this don't make every effort possible to make sure they did miss and or follow/track/make every effort possible to recover. Also I think it hurts our chances of having bigger bucks because so many1 1/2 yr olds and button bucks etc. get killed because they don't have time to judge the size or sex. I also think it puts so much pressure on the deer that it makes them even harder to kill on stand. Most of those guys start training the dogs in spring all the way up to season, so you are talking about 9 mo. of running.It is a legal way to hunt so I guess at least people are deer hunting and I do see alot of father/son, father/daughterpairs hunting together this way. It is probably more of a tradition in the south maybe NC, SC,and GA than anywhere else. It is not for everyone...I prefer to be deep in the woods,20ft up with bow/gun from sun up to sun down as far from anyone else as possible. To each his own and as long as its legal and people continue to hunt instead of losing hunters I will not bash anyone for their method. Just get out there and HUNT and show us your Pics!!!
Old 01-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

Hunting skills???

Which ones are those? Sitting in the truck or talking on the radio.

Dogging is not hunting. The dog hunts, you just shoot.

[/align]

Quick Reply: Running Dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.