HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Running Dogs
Thread: Running Dogs
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2006, 10:49 AM
squrlhunter

Default RE: Running Dogs

I grew up from a small boy running deer with dogs. I am in an area where I cant do it now and it has hurt my hunting skills but there aint nothing like hearing a pack of beagles or a lone bluetick running a deer. I don't see any difference in running coons squrriels rabbits or deer. It is all the same when you come down to talking about cheating. If you were cheating running a deer then why would you not be cheating running a rabbit, coon, fox, hog etc. I use to love working with those dogs. Let me tell you it is not always the easiest thing to hit a deer running 100mph across a road when you only have about a five foot lane to determine what it is and get a shot off. I have missed a many of deer. At least if you are sitting on a stand you know somewhat of where deer are going to come out if they do. When hunting with dogs you have no idea where that deer is going to come out at because the dogs could be a half a mile behind that deer so you could think that the deer is cooming out on one side of a stand of woods where the dogs are while it is ecaping on the other side. Not as easy as people think it is esp in the swamps of carolina. Just my 2 cents
stephen