HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Running Dogs
Thread: Running Dogs
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Wolfpack

Default RE: Running Dogs

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

Run Rabbits but would like to try it on deer sometimes...i cant see much difference in running dogsvs pushing bush with hunters..its legal in certian counties in Alabama.

dd
I agree DD, I don't see much difference between the 2 either. It is legal in alot of counties in NC. I have done it and it is not as easy as someone who has never tried it might think it would be. Kinda of like hunting over a food plot or corn pile...done that too and that's no slam dunk either. I don't like the fact that some of the people doing this don't make every effort possible to make sure they did miss and or follow/track/make every effort possible to recover. Also I think it hurts our chances of having bigger bucks because so many1 1/2 yr olds and button bucks etc. get killed because they don't have time to judge the size or sex. I also think it puts so much pressure on the deer that it makes them even harder to kill on stand. Most of those guys start training the dogs in spring all the way up to season, so you are talking about 9 mo. of running.It is a legal way to hunt so I guess at least people are deer hunting and I do see alot of father/son, father/daughterpairs hunting together this way. It is probably more of a tradition in the south maybe NC, SC,and GA than anywhere else. It is not for everyone...I prefer to be deep in the woods,20ft up with bow/gun from sun up to sun down as far from anyone else as possible. To each his own and as long as its legal and people continue to hunt instead of losing hunters I will not bash anyone for their method. Just get out there and HUNT and show us your Pics!!!