Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes - I have ran dogs
27.66%
Yes - I would consider running dogs
19.15%
Yes- And i got a MONSTER buck doing it
12.77%
Hell NO - ITS CHEATING!!!
40.43%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Running Dogs

Old 01-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Running Dogs

I dog hunted for over 25 years and loved it. If we could still lease enough land to run dogs without getting on other people's land we would still be running them. No difference in using a dog for squirrels, quail, ducks, rabbits, bear, cougar or any other legal game where dogs are permitted. It is probably just a difference in the way you are raised hunting.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:32 AM

Agree with timbercruiser. Tradition and how one is introduced to hunting makes a lot of difference.

I love dog hunting. The closness to the dog at work is a really great experience I think. It is a bit more actionpacked than still hunting and stalking. A bit more social too. A great part of hunting in general is the planning and the execution of these plansand then the immediate response as of whether it worked or not. With dogsthe processis just speeded up alittle.

It sure is no success guranteed although it is probably a more effective method, or no one would have started doing it. In particular old smart bucks will be likley to fool the dogs. My impression is that mostly fawns and yearlings tend to get shotwhen dog hunting.

Old 01-02-2006, 02:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, "if its legal where you are hunting, you've got my support!"
My ONLY problem with using dogs, is that they don't know property lines! The dog OWNERS do though!
All of this "un-sporting," crap, is just that! CRAP!
Hunting with dogs, as well as some other forms of hunting, that are being questioned by some of these "great," modern day hunters, are as old as dirt!
Old 01-02-2006, 02:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

(Not condemning ANY legal, modern form of hunting, or hunting accessories!)
I'd like to see some of these "small-ego, gotta-be-better-than-you" hunters on their 4X4, with your #70 compound bow, carbon arrows, and other accessories,ride up to an Indian, who just threw a corn cob on a game trail, and tell 'em they were un-sporting! You'd end up being coyote bait!
Or tell some of our great hunters of yester-year, that their dogs, or drives were "too easy!" (while you've got your 1/2 MOA rifle, 3X10 scope, and laser range finder at your side) They'd probably rip your head off, and stick it where it belongs!
Let legal hunters, hunt legal! Flush the "holier-than-thou," crap, and let people ENJOY the sport of hunting!
Old 01-02-2006, 08:29 PM

Dan,
Let me re phrase that. I have been dog hunting most of my life and that has hurt in my skills of finding deer in the woods to where I could put up a stand and bow hunt them. I have only started this bow hunting thing and that is making my stalking skills better now. Yes it is legal to shoot across a road as long as you are on private or leased land. Down here what sometimes happens is that you lease logging companys land and they cut the land into blocks by roads then plant pine in rows in the blocks. the blocks are usally a couple of hundred acres a piece. you get standers to stand on the road around the block. All standers must stand on side of the road that the drive is on. as the deer crosses the road you wait till it gets on the other side then you shoot if you have a shot. sorry about the mix up.
Stephen
Old 01-02-2006, 09:42 PM

ORIGINAL: squrlhunter

Dan,
Let me re phrase that. I have been dog hunting most of my life and that has hurt in my skills of finding deer in the woods to where I could put up a stand and bow hunt them. I have only started this bow hunting thing and that is making my stalking skills better now. Yes it is legal to shoot across a road as long as you are on private or leased land. Down here what sometimes happens is that you lease logging companys land and they cut the land into blocks by roads then plant pine in rows in the blocks. the blocks are usally a couple of hundred acres a piece. you get standers to stand on the road around the block. All standers must stand on side of the road that the drive is on. as the deer crosses the road you wait till it gets on the other side then you shoot if you have a shot. sorry about the mix up.
Stephen
No prob, I was just curious. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:55 AM
Typical Buck

hunted with dogs for years (to many to count) i dont use them now its not legal to hunt deer in wnc with them . if it was legal i would still use them
Old 01-03-2006, 05:47 AM

Maybe Im getting out of the threads core now but Im getting the impression that dog hunting is diminishing. That it used to be done and isnt anymore. Is it really so?
Old 01-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

I run rabbits with my beagles but dont run deer. aint really cared for have to chase them dogs all around the club and not get nothing.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:16 PM

Run Rabbits but would like to try it on deer sometimes...i cant see much difference in running dogsvs pushing bush with hunters..its legal in certian counties in Alabama.

I can see a helluva lot of difference between the two!!!! Dogs can smell a lot better, run a lot faster, are smaller and can go through brush much better than humans, have more stamina, and can't read a posted sign!!!!!

Lets not compare apples and oranges here!!!

Quick Reply: Running Dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.