Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rifle Scopes

Old 12-31-2005, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rifle Scopes

Which bushnell is the one you have is it the trophy?
Old 12-31-2005, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

which bushnell model is the one you have?
Old 12-31-2005, 11:34 AM

IMO cheap rifles are often OK but put your money in the scopes if you can. If you cant... Well I can only tell you that I´ve spent alot of money on cheap ones before I could buy my Zeiss. Without the cheap ones however I could not have afforded to shoot. Spent a lot ofammo money rezeroing and often felt insecure with some of the scopes.

I had a Weaver onceand of all the cheap ones this one really stood out. Always held its zero, and there was never any problems. I still have it even if I dont use it anymore.

One thing I think I learned is that a used scope of a good brand is better than a new cheap one. Another thing I feel quite confident in is that a fixed power scope is less prone to fail than variable ones. Third is that if you buy cheap, try not toadjust it more timesthan absolutely necessary and dont ask for ruggedness from it.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:50 AM

Personally if you only had 50-60 bucks to spend I would look at a bushnell banner. However like said above you get what you pay for in optics to a point. Don't expect any miracles out of a 50 dollar scope.

I also agree, save up a bit more money and get a trophy, you can get them for around 100 bucks at gun stores, so I supose the online prices would be much cheaper.

From what I understand if you look around you can get a simmons 44 mag for around 100 bucks on line. That is a very nice scope for the money. I have even seen the older whitetail classics for that price and they sold for more than twice that originally. They were the design before the aetec I believe. I had for a little while and thought it was a pretty nice scope for the money, but I traded it in on a more expensive scope.

I have a trophy on my slug gun and am very happy with it though.

I had a 3-9x40 banner on one of my .22's and it was pretty decent for $50, I loaned to a friend for his ML because he wrecked his scoped by accident. He said it worked fine this season and I should be getting it back pretty soon.

Paul
Old 12-31-2005, 11:58 AM

Trophy Scopes

I have the very first one on the list, and it is the one pictured at the top of the page. I also have a buddy that has the same one on an 11-87 and another that has the 3-9x40 on his 870 slug gun. They all seem to work fine and are pretty clear and bright for the money, escpecially the lower powered ones.

From the looks of it I got a pretty good deal on my banner, they list for $80 dollars at cabela's.

Paul