Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Illegal hunting on TV!!!

Old 05-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Illegal hunting on TV!!!

I was watching Backland outdoors on TV today and they were deer hunting in Iowa. Two hunters in different stands were talking over 2-way radios which, unless the laws just changed, is illegal!!! Wanted to know if anyone caught this show and what you guys think of it.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Illegal hunting on TV!!!

Have you consulted the Iowa F&G website to confirm this ?

Indiana allows radios while hunting , but not for driving game or otherwise assisting the hunt . I think they presumed that folks either wanted them for safety , or just to make more noise in the blind .
Old 05-11-2004, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know of any states that outlaw radios when you are hunting for safety and communication. They only make it against the law to use them to help you get game. In other words, you can't say: "Hey Tom, there is a big buck about to come over the ridge, get ready" but you can say: "Hey Tom, I will meet you at the old hicory stump for lunch at 12:00" or: "I broke my leg, come and get me!"
Old 05-11-2004, 06:55 PM
Dominant Buck

I guess I better check laws better in some states I hunt. I've been known to participate on confrence calls while in my hunting stand. I think it falls under multi-tasking.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

You should come down to Jersey and put the radio on scan for the opener as it's loads of fun to listen to all kinds of guys talking/whispering/complaining/etc.

Last year I heard some shots on the next lease and quickly put the radio on scan. I heard these guys saying that they missed a decent sized buck and that he was headed our way. Needless to say, the deer come over the ridge and my buddy was able to nail the buck.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:37 AM

The famous Babe Winkelman recently got fined for doing this very thing.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:01 AM

Glad to know there are law hounds watching TV shows, call and get them arrested
Old 05-13-2004, 03:21 PM

not sure why it would even be illegal.if it is in some states then the tv people should be fined just like anyone else.it is not illegal in texas.this is actually the first time i ever heard it wqas illegal
Old 05-13-2004, 06:05 PM

If you are hunting together with somebody else, doesn't that extra set of eyes/ears give you more of an advantage than a guy on a radio who is 1/2 mile away? Sure, it depends on the type of terrain that you hunt, but where I hunt it's so thick that somebody could radio me and say, "There's a nice buck coming right for you", but there's a good chance that I'd never even see that deer.
Does anybody else agree with me? In most cases, those radios don't give much of an added advantage to the hunter in my opinion.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

I agree Jimbo, even if a friend came on and said,"Theres a huge buck coming right for you!" whats saying that buck won't turn, or stop someplace to bed down? Especially if your, a 1/2 mile away. I'm not trying to tell anyone that thier wrong, im just stating my opinion. Or in other words, "just my two cents"

Quick Reply: Illegal hunting on TV!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.