Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 sticky situation (check all that apply) >

sticky situation (check all that apply)

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
use a firearm and put the deer down
23.01%
use a knife and put the deer down
25.66%
call the authorities
19.47%
call game warden
12.39%
run over deer again (yeooow)
2.65%
do nothing
0.88%
try to get a date with the women
15.93%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

sticky situation (check all that apply)

Old 12-23-2005, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default sticky situation (check all that apply)

you are driving home one night in march when you see a women stopped on the side of the road, you stop to offer help and find out that she has hit a deer, you go back a couple of hundred yards and find the deer with the aid of your headlights, it has been run over/hit in the hind quarter area, it is trying to get up and flee but is so broken up nothing is working very well, at one point the deer is dragging itself with nothing but its front legs. myself i would put the deer out of its misery, just wondering what everbody else approach to this would be, by the way i have done this, i have also freed deer from fences, and rescued injured fawns during haying times, sometimes things happen beyond our control, but when you can do something about it what do you do? BTW i think what i do is the right thing
Old 12-23-2005, 09:01 AM

Default RE: sticky situation (check all that apply)

I opted for the knife to put the deer down, nice and quiet. I know some people will say a deer will kick your a$$ if you try to get close enough with a knife but I have done it and it works, caution must be used though. I also voted for try to get a date with the women, in any circumstance thisis a goodidea.....unless the wife is riding in vehicle with you.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

I opted for the authorities and game warden, although I don't know how long I would be able to watch it suffer without trying to do something.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, the law in Illinois requires you to report the incident, and the deer belongs to the person who hit it. In a perfect world, you could cell phone the game warden and he would dash up to the scene in minutes to dispatch it.
More than likely, it will take much more time for anyone to arrive. You have to also consider that in some counties, multiple incidents like this occur on almost a nightly basis. So, getting anyone other than a bored police deputy out there that evening might be a problem as well. However, I would make a reasonable effort to contact a game warden and get them out there. And by the time he arrives, the deer is out of its misery and my tire iron is back behind my truck seat. And the next day, the lady and I are grilling backstrap and sipping red wine....
Old 12-23-2005, 09:27 AM

Well, the law in Illinois requires you to report the incident, and the deer belongs to the person who hit it. In a perfect world, you could cell phone the game warden and he would dash up to the scene in minutes to dispatch it.
More than likely, it will take much more time for anyone to arrive. You have to also consider that in some counties, multiple incidents like this occur on almost a nightly basis. So, getting anyone other than a bored police deputy out there that evening might be a problem as well. However, I would make a reasonable effort to contact a game warden and get them out there. And by the time he arrives, the deer is out of its misery and my tire iron is back behind my truck seat. And the next day, the lady and I are grilling backstrap and sipping red wine....
Well, then you just broke the law in Illinois. You can not put down a deer injured by a vehicle.

Now, even though it is "Illegal", and you could be fined, isn't it the right thing to do?
Old 12-23-2005, 09:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Technically, I think that it would be illegal for even a police officer to dispath the deer without explicit approval from a wildlife official, but it happens....and for the exact reason you described.

To be quite frank, this happens constantly. My local newspaper now includes a special section just to report deer accidents. As this becomes more and more of a problem, i would assume that wildlife officials may be assuming a much less stringent policy on this. So, I think we have again ventured into the gray area that I am sure others will soon be arguing does not exist.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:44 AM

I would put the deer down by the quickest and safest means available and the call both the highway patrol and the game warden. If that meant shooting the animal after legal hunting hours then so be it and I would take the punishment (if any) that the authorities saw fit to dish out. I know that those of you on the radical fringe will call me a poacher, but whatever. I was raised to do what is right and if you believe that letting an animal whose fate is sealed lie suffering on the side of the road is right so that you do not break the law...well then your opinion of me is not really going to factor into how I determine my self-worth. It is probably a moot point anyway as I don't make a habit of carrying a gun unless I am hunting. Just my take.

Merry Christmas to all and hunt safe and good luck.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:44 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Technically, I think that it would be illegal for even a police officer to dispath the deer without explicit approval from a wildlife official

Yep! That's the way it's here in FL! If the cop were to pull and shoot his gun while on duty, he will have a 6 page report on it.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:56 AM

Technically, I think that it would be illegal for even a police officer to dispath the deer without explicit approval from a wildlife official, but it happens....and for the exact reason you described.
All the officer does is call the conservation police dispatcher and inform them. But, my point was, and is, that sometime doing the "right" thing, leaving the animal to suffer, is not the right thing to do.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

What does she look like?

Quick Reply: sticky situation (check all that apply)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.