Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 sticky situation (check all that apply) >

sticky situation (check all that apply)

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
use a firearm and put the deer down
23.01%
use a knife and put the deer down
25.66%
call the authorities
19.47%
call game warden
12.39%
run over deer again (yeooow)
2.65%
do nothing
0.88%
try to get a date with the women
15.93%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: sticky situation (check all that apply)

I voted call authorities. Its tempting to take care of this yourself but you would risk legal problems and maybe loss of your hunting rights to kill the deer.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey Keith,
I would use the knife seeing I don't always have a firearm.
Chuck7
Old 12-23-2005, 11:32 AM

I would kill the deer with a knife. I have done it three times already. Two times the people hit one and stopped and didn't know what to do. The third someone hit one, stopped and kept going leaving the deer in the middle of the road trying to get up. I drug it off the road and killed it with a knife. When I was sure it was dead I got in my car and left. I don't have a cell phone or I probably would have called the sherrif and reported it.

The two times when the other people stopped one was a women and the other was a guy. Neither had a means of killing the animal so I did it for them. In both cases I left it up to the peole that hit the deer to call the police, if they don't want them involved it's none of my buiseness. The lady destroyed her car so she called 911 and I waited with her until someone showed up. They guy said he was going to call to see if he could keep the deer, I left because he was fine and his truck was drivable.

I carry a SOG sealpup in my trunk just for this purpose because there are so many deer/car accidents in my area.

Paul

Oh, I don't know if what I did was legal or not, but the one time the police came they had no problem with it and thanked me for helping the lady and getting the deer out of the road.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd put the deer down anyway I could at the time, and call no one. Leave it where it lays.
Then comfort the little gal.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Put the deer down by whatever means it takes. Get it off the road. Ask the woman if there is anything she wishes you to do for her, and if she is going to report it to the authorities. You've done about all you can. Just use some good, common sense. ( I'll probably be hearing about THAT line----)
Old 12-23-2005, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

What does she look like?
its always important to always ask the right questions

good answers guys, i have put a few down, the first one i called the game warden, BTW i know him and we only have 2 gw's in this county. he asked if there was anything i felt i could do, he gave me permission, i also used a knife. i have used a gun also though. one way to get the authorities there quickly tell them how big of a buck it is, once traveling thru mississippi a guy in front of my creamed a big 10 point, i called the state troopers because the guy that hit it didn't have a cell phone and it ruined his little car, caved the roofline down, and the state trooper ask if it was a buck or doe?, i told him it was a huge buck, he was there in less than 5 min. gw less than 10 along with 2 sherrifs deputies, so if you cant do it yourself when you call make sure they understand its the biggest buck you've ever seen
Old 12-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Dominant Buck

I quess this implies......Stickum!
Old 12-23-2005, 01:20 PM

Man thats a hard one. I would use a knife but I would feel so bad after words. You also would have to deal with the lady that hit the deer she would probably think you killing the deer with a knife is wrong and inhumane.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would definitely make the phone call and try to get the go aheadbefore putting it down, especially at night. Without the permission you could be in big trouble up here. I'd also try to get the date (if she was purty).
Old 12-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

salt great point, the first time i did it the women was crying like crazy, she was 150-200 yrds past the deer, at that time i'm kinda glad i had a knife instead of a gun, i walked back up to the car and assured her that the deer was dead, she was shaking like a leaf, she did not have to witness any of it, i called her dad, him and his wife came and drove the two vehichles away, not really sure what effect shooting the deer would have had on her[&o], but IMO i feel most people don't want to see any animal suffer anymore than it has too.......

BTW i know this is a tough one, as i have done it a few times, not something you enjoy but sometimes needs to be done for the sanity of all involved, just think about how much worse you would feel if you left the deer struggleing to flee, and dying a slow and painful death, as in hunting and any other life lesson, that involves life and death, you would try to make it as quick, ethical, practical as possible, at this point you'd be doing all involved a favoragain this is just MHO

Quick Reply: sticky situation (check all that apply)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.