Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

moon phase?

Old 12-17-2005, 10:18 AM

Default moon phase?

anyone in the southeast mainly north al. or southern tenn. hunt by moon phase? if so how. never tried, but would like to know more about it.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: moon phase?

get with DoctorDeath, he hunts Bama and Tenn. i'm unsure if he goes by moon phases though......i'm pretty sure he could kill a deer in your bathroom...lmao
Old 12-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm still not to sure about the moon phases, but many,many hunters and fishermen swear by it. I go by the temperture and barometer more than the moon.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:25 AM

I live in Cherokee Co. alabama. I've tried the full moon before, and it seems that they move earlier. Mostly by the temperature and barometer like rebel hog.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:30 AM

not from north al. but here in south east al. i refer to it quite often. i know during the full moon if the activity chart gives late morning hunting times. i see more deer activity during that time. even riding the country roads and seeing deer in fields. its not 100%, but give or take an hour, its pretty close. try a game cam over a main food source and compare the times.good luck and give it a try.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

there are so many factors that contribute to deer movement, being spooked, hunger, weather, moon phases, etc. as a hunter we try to play the odds by getting as much of these factors on our side as possible. however, if one or two of these factors are not in play, it's not feasable to say the deer won't move. i say, if your not in the woods, you're not going to see anything. nobody can predict deer movement to a tee, but it doesn't hurt to try and put the odds in your favor.