Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Morning Woods Motivation

Old 11-28-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Morning Woods Motivation

Howdy all,
Just thought I would check in and see how my fellow hunters from NY are faring in the Southern Zone. I know I am still filled up (on tags that is) and have not seen anything with antlers since I have been in the woods. I have, however, begun to considier hunting with my car, since I tend to see all the large bucks while driving around (No joke, within two miles once I saw a large 6, a nice 4, and a spike), but, since I just purchased a new car, I have reconsidered.
Anyway, on to my question. Lately my motivation to hunt in the mornings has really been lackin (might be a reason I am still filled on tags). I just cant justify freezing my ass off in the stand when I have a warm bed with a beautiful woman in it less than 400 yards away. I was thinking maybe the problem is the fact I am hunting on my own land, literally in my backyard, and not traveling as far as I used to.
Anyone else ever have motivational issues for the mornin hunts? If so, how did you get over em?
Old 11-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Morning Woods Motivation

Anyone else ever have motivational issues for the mornin hunts? If so, how did you get over em?
I get up in pain every day and it takes a while to get going.
I have to drive to go hunting so its a issue for me to.

It was easyer when I was in my 20s.
Joint pains in the am cold isn't any fun.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Campo,
Maybe its that you get so cold.
Much of my preparation for the coming day is about comfort. Even though it was 9 degrees when I went out at 5 AM friday morning and never got above freezing I was prepared and kept warm all day.

Now I will tell you that I hunt out of a pop up ground blind when it's very cold. That seems to help. Plus it's very comfortable.

I can barely sleep when I know I'm hunting the next day. True, it's only my second year hunting but so far there have been many nights I just never made it to sleep. If I knew that what I had to look forward to was to "freeze my a** off" the next day, I might want to stay in bed too. Ok probably not but it would make it harder to get out
Old 11-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Another vote for the pop-up blind , nothing kills hunt quite like a cold breeze up your shirt . You can also take along a catalytic type heater such as a Mr. Buddy to knock the chill out of the air . Since the pop-up is lighter than nearly any tree stand you can pack it and the heater in , along with plenty of warm clothing without getting all sweaty on the way in. The clothing doesn't even have to be camo since the deer won't see you anyway . An added bonus is that you can stand up for an occasional stretch without your movement busting you .
Old 11-30-2005, 01:32 PM

ah sounds like i've got the opposite issue! I'm a young buck yet, turning 19 tomorrow (the first) as it turns out. I'm Rowing here at college on the crew team so i'm used to being in freezing weather at the crack of dawn. makes the trek in the midday and afternoon all that much nicer! i'll pay for all my body punishing in a score or two though... don't yet have the proud badge of arthritis under my belt and the ability to say i earned it!
Old 11-30-2005, 01:32 PM

delete.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

depends where im hunting......somedays i wonder why i even bothered...exspecially hunting around home.........hunting tiny wood lots that deer dont live in regularly gets frustration to say the least...all spots tore up with sign...but one day they are across the road...the next they are back...the next they are across a diffrent road....just cant pattern these deer or KNOW that they will be any set area......hope and a prayer and some good luck and you might bag one....if not.....we start our drives around 10 or 11am every day....its also hard because if the wind is bad...or they hear you coming in or anything you are DONE.....its not impossible...but it takes some luck...hard to say where the deer are going to be...and getting to that area before they know your hunting them is dang tough...thats why we drive them out....seems i can never get it right....im always a day behind...last year on the opener i hunted the right side of the road till 11..didnt see a deer period...drivers came through at 11am...nada...nothing....this year i found another good spot on the left of the road...sat till 11....nothing..nada...drove out across the road(where i was last season!) and 2 monster shooters busted out.....hit or miss hunting small pieces like that around home...up here in the big woods i dont mind stand hunting and morning hunting...the deer are more predictable....and if you find them you can bet they will be around pretty often....but some mornings at home i really wonder why i got out of bed to sit in the freezing cold..wind and rain......but hey...when that monster 12pt comes by my spot saturday morning and i blast him ill know why........that is what keeps me going...just the thought that i MIGHT get a shot at one of the bigguns.....thats my motivation
Old 11-30-2005, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

what gets me going in the mourning is seeing a nice buck the night before.
or...the smell of fresh tenderloin cooking on the grill,sautayed with mushrooms, onions, peppers and tomatoes.
i have the same problem. i got a buck opening day and feel my season is over. i've only gone out 3 times since then and only seen some does. but my bones are getting antcy. i want to feel that rush when one comes squirting out of the bush and looks me dead in the eye. it seems like eternity, but is only a couple seconds when you raise your meat cannon and spit out 400+ grains of lead moving at over1500 fps. HOT DAMN MEN I'VE GOT TO GO. good luck on your problem campo, the woods are callin me
Old 11-30-2005, 09:37 PM
Fork Horn

Comeon down to tx during the summer(or winter for that matter) and I promise you will be longing for cold and snow. Last sunday it was only 60 degrees.