Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

T'was the morning before New Years and all through the woods...

Old 12-31-2003, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default T'was the morning before New Years and all through the woods...

right

the club that hunts on the other side of the swamp jumped two deer this morning and ran right through my piece and then back through all of those truck hunters and apparently they couldn't get a shot off, seems like they never see the deer, they shoot anything that comes by them, so I assume they just didn't see the deer. I wasn't about to shoot those two deer, I'd passed them up numerous times this season already and figured they are sure to outsmart those idiotic dogs they had behind them.

It just puts a smile on my face to know they didn't get anything
Old 12-31-2003, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: T'was the morning before New Years and all through the woods...

I saw a huge buck outsmart the dogs one time, I was about 150 yards out in a field in an overgrown area where a house had been years before when I heard the dogs running some deer in the distance, as they got closer 5 doe busted out into the field and ran right by me, it was bucks only so I had to let them slide, then I saw one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen break out of the woods right where the doe came out. He came out into the field about 20 yards, stopped and turned right back around and ran into the woods where he had just came out. About 30-40 seconds later the dogs busted out of the woods and kept on getting up after the doe!!!! I am sure that old buck was watching them go by laughing the whole time!
Old 12-31-2003, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

Isn't it amazing just how smart those bucks really are? I have seen smaller bucks swim across a river just to get away from deer hunters on a walking drive. I just laughed when I saw it.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

Tazman, yeah I was always told that a smart buck will drop the dogs on the doe.

I just can't get over this hunt club that hunts around me, I can sit here right now and hear them hiking dogs, if I hear them jump its back outside for me
Old 12-31-2003, 10:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

if I hear them jump its back outside for me
Man I had to laugh when you said that, it took me back 25 years to that day I mentioned, I had just gotten back to my aunts house after sitting on stand that morning when I heard the dogs jump deer, I hauled tail out there because I knew they usually crossed that field inbetwwen where I was sitting and the river. I noticed I did kind of skim/skip over the part about hearing the dogs before hauling butt out there.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

it's happened to me twice this week already, I get up at sunrise and hunt for a few hours and as soon as I come back to the house the hunt club is in the woods and the dogs have jumped, I got half way across the field Monday without one boot on and nearly beat the deer to the crossing point, I did beat the dogs though. Same thing this morning, I saw the deer and it crossed right where I was sitting early this morning. It just upsets me how these guys put no effort into hunting and they just come out here and disturb my woods
Old 12-31-2003, 07:08 PM

here in washington
state if we see any dogs chasing deer or elk we got the right to shoot the dogs...
Old 12-31-2003, 11:11 PM

ORIGINAL: usens

here in washington
state if we see any dogs chasing deer or elk we got the right to shoot the dogs...
i do that too. dont know if we have the right too but in fact any dog out of its yard will get shot, --no ifs ands or buts