Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Missed!

Old 11-28-2005, 07:05 AM

Default Missed!

I don't like to and rarely doI ever shoot at running deer, but yesterday I did and missed. I took the shot (4 of them to be exact)only because the buck was previously wounded byanother hunter and my Dad and I had picked up its trail,and itwas running broadside accross an openfield. The first shot was at about 50 yards and the last about 100. I have a fixed 4x scope on an 870. Any suggestions as to how much leador any other tips that might help me make a shot like that in the future?Have any of you ever missed a shot similar to that and couldn't believe you missed?!? (We ended up tracking the deer for another half mile until it went on posted
(land
Old 11-28-2005, 01:11 PM

Default RE: Missed!

anyone?
Old 11-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

It would all depend on just how fast they were running I would guess. I very rarely shoot at a running deer, although is has happened in the past. My guess is that if they were flat out hauling, I would aim about 4-5 inches in front of them at 50 yards. That's of course just a guess and each situation varies quite a lot.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not a good shot to take, but it would depend on the angle of the shot and how fast the deer was running.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:34 PM

The deer was wounded tho. He was running broadside, straight accross me. Given the situation I don't see how you pass up a shot like that.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I shot at a buck running with a 30-30 at 50 yds. I aimed at his back bone and hit his back bone he went down immediately. OPen sights are better in my opinion when the deer is running.

Old 11-28-2005, 03:58 PM

Chuck7,, your right buddy,, i used a scope for one day,, fog up, low light, running deer and there so sensitive.. open sights are by far the way to go. one less thing to worry about when it comes time!
Old 11-29-2005, 07:06 AM

Yeah, I also agree that open sights are better on running game. My eye sight is not the best tho, I hate wearing glasses in the field when its so cold they always fog, and my contacts haven't come in yet. I have been very successfull picking out openings in the woodswhen haveing to shoot at moving game. The8 pointer I got last year was in atrot.I couldn't get him to stop,so I picked an opening and as soon as I seen brown I squeezed.Dropped him in his tracks at about50 yards. Back to the miss tho, this was the first time I have ever shoot at a deer running full boar withscoped gunso I was a little unsure on where to hold. Like I said I really don't like to shoot at running deer. Butthanks guys I have a better idea now and hopefully if the situation comes up againI will be able to make the shot.