Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 EVER MISSED AND DID NOT KNOW ? >

EVER MISSED AND DID NOT KNOW ?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

EVER MISSED AND DID NOT KNOW ?

Old 07-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default EVER MISSED AND DID NOT KNOW ?

2 YEARS AGO MY AND MY PARTNER WERE HUNTING ABOUT 40 YARDS WHEN HE STUCK A NICE DOE, THE 3 OTHER DOES THAT WERE WITH IT RAN DIRECTLY INFRONT OF ME I GOT BUSTED AT FULL DRAW SHE WAS WATCHING ME AT 25 YARDS I SHOT AND CRACK ( WOW WHAT A NOISE) I GAVE THE THUMBS UP AFTER A SHORT WAIT MY PARTNER WERE GIVING 5O THOUSAND HIGH FIVES AND PATS ON THE BACK WE FINALY DID IT A DOUBLE , THE MASTER PLAN WE TALKED ABOUT WORKED,WE TRAILED HIS DEER 20 YARDS AND I WAS TELLING HIM HOW I SEEN MY DOE STUMBLE SIDEWAYS AFTER JUMPING THE LOG, WELL TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT WE LOOKED FOR BLOOD FOR 20 MINUTES AND NOTHING THEN THERE IT WAS MY BUDDIE POINTED FEET UP IN A TREE ,HE YELLS YOU GOT IT THERE IS BARK EVERYWEAR IT MUST BE A GOOD HIT . LOL WELL WANTED TO BRING A LITTLE HUMER IN HERE LET ME KNOW SOME OF YALL,S STORIES
Old 07-22-2004, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: EVER MISSED AND DID NOT KNOW ?

My experience has been the other way around, i have shot deer and thought i had missed it due to there reaction, and after the follow up i find blood. My hunting buddy had did that as well, he shot a deer with his .44 magnum and thought he missed cuz the deer didnt look hurt. He didnt follow up so i went over and looked and found blood, about 1ooyds later, we found his lil buck and had to give a quick follow up shot with my shot-gun. It is always a hunters responsiblity to follow up on the shot.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:55 PM

I have had both. With a rifle I thought that i had missed, and was kinda bummed out. So I went to check, didn't see anything... kept looking, and finally saw some blood up the hill. I walked up and there was 1 foot wide blood trails leading to the deer behing the tree a couple yards away. I hit the deer and it hit the snow and slid a foot forward and slid dead behind the tree. Good thing i kept looking. With a bow, I shot at a elk and heard... THUD and saw the elk crouch for a second, and then take off. By the time I went to investigate it was too dark. So I drove home, and came back the following day (2 hour drive) to find out that I had hit the tree behind it. The darn elk ducked when i fired.... lol, forgot to take that in account, I got caught in the moment, and aimed regular. At least I was on target, that tree was dead from the moment I touched the release!

What ever you do, always follow up on your shots. Even if you think you didn't hit it, you have to follow up.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

once i was bowhunting and a friend was videoing at 70 yards this deer hung up and would not come in so finally i got tierd of waiting and shot my friend said "you missed him" "you duffed it lol" needless to say he made it about 70 more yards and crashed into a small lake. then i turned around and said damn thats the first time i have ever seen a missed deer not make it out of the field before bedding down LOL
Old 07-27-2004, 08:57 AM

ORIGINAL: bowhuntt

...at 70 yards this deer hung up and would not come in so finally i got tierd of waiting and shot...
yikes, you shot the deer from 70 yds away?
Old 07-27-2004, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

last year i had a big doe come down the hill on a small drive and stand broadside about 24 yds away, i pulled back and already had the back straps on the grill before i shot, i let go and i hit a small branch that was barely visible until i shot, well needless to say the deer ran and i went and picked up my arrow.... i guess you can never be to sure....
Old 07-27-2004, 11:16 AM

One year I was hunting in northern MN. I was a driver on a large drive when I heard a noise to my front (it was a quiet drive). Suddenly, a HUGE whitetail appeared in front of me just to my right about 15 yards away. Broadside, but running. I took one quick snap shot at it with my 30-30. I thought I saw it stumble before it disappeared back into the heavy brush. I look for blood and/or hair for about 30 minutes wihtout finding a trace before I decided I'd better finish the drive. I did finish it but my heart wasn't in it because I thought I'd missed the deer. We gathered the guys and went back to where I'd "missed" this big buck. Everyone spread out and about 10 minutes later someone called out that they had found my deer. It was a big 10-point that field dressed at 220 pounds...shot through the heart. Needless to say, I was big man on campus that season.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Never missed
Old 07-27-2004, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I did once. It was in the snow at about 25 yards. I still don't know how I missed, but I did. Completely.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:01 PM

Last year I shot a buck with my shotgun at about 25-30 yards as he was trotting past. I stopped him with a grunt and took my shot.........he simply turned to his right and hopped away with his tail in the air as if I was using a camera and not a 12 gauge. I saw NOTHING!! No concussion on the chest.....no hair flying.......no blood........no reaction by the deer at all. I have never seen a deer take a slug in the chest and not even flinch.......let alone hop away like he didn't have a care in the world []

I thought I missed for sure.........I was instantly sick.......then I walked over to where he was and saw blood EVERYWHERE. I looked down the golden rod field and could actually see a 3 foot wide red path through the waist high reeds. I followed the red brick road for about 90-100 yards before I found him piled up at the other end of the field.

He either didn't know what hit him (double lung between ribs on each side) or was just one seriously tough mutha. Either way the important thing is you can never be sure unless you have fully investigated where he was when you shot and then his path as he left.

What does a taxidermist charge for a full trunk tree mount??

Quick Reply: EVER MISSED AND DID NOT KNOW ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.