Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dead deer in public view???

Old 11-27-2005, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dead deer in public view???

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

The other day I was driving back home after hunting. I pull along side a car that had a buck strapped to the trunk of his car. We stop side by side at a stop light and behind him is an SUV with a mother, father, and 3 kids in it. The mother in the passengers seat had the most disgusted look on her face you ever saw. The father was shaking his head in disgust. Maybe they were anti's, but maybe they werent'!! Why take the chance?
This is not a topic that I will give my opinion on one way or another however I have had Soccer Moms pull up next to me in their SUV's full of kid's and look over at me on my Harley ..with my leathers on ..and have a disgusted look onHer face. I sure hope someone doesn't take it on themselves to get a law passed to outlaw Harley's....because ..I STILL have my Harley ... you can NOT please all the people ALL the time NO MATTER what you do ..so I just try being me !

dd

Old 11-27-2005, 06:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's a little different having the stuck up soccer mom curling her nose at you because you're on a harley than having a gutted bloody buck with his tongue hanging out and blood dripping down the trunck in front of you at a red light. I understand your attempted analogy but they don't coorelate. You have to compare apples to apples.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Intresting topic. I see that many folks seem like its there God given right to display there kill and I'm sure you have every right to be proud of it. That attitude, "the hell with people, I'll show it off if I want", is only damaging our sport.
There are appoximately 75 to 80% of the public that are neutral on hunting. This percentage here, will determine our future as hunting. When in mixed company one must conduct themselves accordingly and what you do, not only reflects on yourself but as hunters as a whole. I see nothing amusing about a deer propped up in the back of a truck with a a beer can or ciggarett hanging from its mouth going through towne.
Last year while coming across the state after a hunting trip I was going through a small towne and stopped at a traffic light, I noticed this female hunter had herself a nice doe laying on her flatbed in front of me, as I waited for the light to change, I looked to the vechicle on my right side and I noticed a lady that would look up at that deer and put her head in her palms and was tearing up. I could see the joy the female hunter had but I saw first hand how damaging thisis to our sport also from the other lady's reaction.
I am proud to be a hunter and I'm not ashamed of what I do, but there is a way to promote our sport in a way that is not so tasteless and offensive to most of the population as we are in the minority.
I do not believe we should make it a law but educating people about how its effecting our sport would be more apropreate. I am a bowhunter education instructor here in the state of montana and this is one of the topics that is covered.

Good topic.

Bobby
Old 11-27-2005, 06:31 AM

boy you anti show your deer guys would not like living around here. because for about 2 months the news paper has pictures of the kills in the sports pages. anywhere from the 12 year old withhis first kill or the 70 year guy that got a nice buck. and guess what around here most people love to see them. even the owner of the news paper is a hunter. i think we should worry more about something that really matters. ( like the numbers of deer and their habitat.)
Old 11-27-2005, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: live2hunt743

in wisconsin its illegal not to display some part of the deer while transporting. im not sure why but thats the law and being a law abiding citizen, thats what i do.
A little clarification on that part of the law. It is illiegal only until it is registered by the DNR. After they put their tag on it, you can carry that animal in the glove compartment if you wish.

As far as transporting in open view. I drive a Jeep Cherokee, not a lot of room inside to begin with. Once ou pack the gear and everything for two guys inside the truck for a week long hunting trip thats 375 miles away form home, there is going to be NO room for a dead animal inside the truck. I made a stainless steel cargo healer expressly for this purpose.

Old 11-27-2005, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm probably relatively young here. I was born in 1967. So when did all this political correctness nonsense begin? Was it always this bad? Isn't the whole purpose of being PC not to offend anybody?

If that is the case, then why am I offended by political correctness?

I'll take it to the next level. Why is it that everytime I turn on a sit-com onTV theyseem to be required to have agay character in the mix? Every bodies in bed together, and nobodies married. The tables are turned, and if you speak up that you are offended by this, you are a right wing bigot. You are a Bible thumper, you are backward, you probably also play a banjo, and well.....you probably kill poor innocent animals and haul them home in the back of you pickup for your toothless wife to skin.

Naa, I'm all for using common sense transporting your deer, but this whole "Political Correctness" thing is a scam.

I'm not buying it.

C. Davis
Old 11-27-2005, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: C. Davis

I'm probably relatively young here. I was born in 1967. So when did all this political correctness nonsence begin? Was it always this bad? Isn't the whole purpose of being PC not to offend anybody?

If that is the case, then why am I offended by political correctness?

I'll take it to the next level. Why is it that everytime I turn on a sit-com on t.v. theyseem to be required to have agay character in the mix? Everybodies in bed together, and nobodies married. The tables are turned, and if you speak up that you are offended by this, you are a right wing bigot. You are a Bible thumper, you are backward, you probably also play a banjo, and well.....you probably kill poor innocent animals and haul them home in the back of you pickup for your toothless wife to skin.

Naa, I'm all for using common sense transporting your deer, but this whole "Political Correctness" thing is a scam.

I'm not buying it.

C. Davis
CD your obviously "wise beyond your years" ..... very good post !

dd

Old 11-27-2005, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

You pretty much said it for me too. I agree. I think people just over react sometimes.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks DD,
It's time to get ready for church.

C. Davis
Old 11-27-2005, 08:34 AM

If done tastefully, A dead deer in public view is a good form of advertising. It's what got me in to hunting. No one in my family hunts. As a kid I remember my neighbor coming home with a deer on the roof of his suburban and I also remember driving home from upstate(NY) family trips and seeing deer on roof tops. Thats what got me hooked.Now I will pass it on to my two sons. So "Dead deer in public view" Is responsible for at least 3 more hunters in the woods

Quick Reply: Dead deer in public view???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.