Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dead deer in public view???

Old 11-25-2005, 09:16 PM

Default Dead deer in public view???

This has been a sore spot with me for ALOOOOOONG time and I am about to get too the point where I might take on an endeavor to try and do something about it. What is the majority of you hunters view on the issue of dead deer being displayed in public?

I have ALWAYS thought it tasteless, un-necessary, rude and outright BARBARIC in the first place. Have I done it? In 20 years of deerhunting and haven taken over 200 deer, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have ever done it. But even then I was uneasy about it and got off the road ASAP.

I know for alot of hunters it's a pride thing. They want to show off their hard earned trophy, but too who? The anti-hunters in society only make up about 10-12% of the general public. Hunters ourselves make up only a slightly larger minority at appx 15%. That leaves the vast majority (some 75%) as being non-hunters which are neither pro nor anti hunting. They are just in the middle and don't favor with either side unless proded for one reason or another. Most are level headed and don't side with the far left "eco-nazi" animals rights activists and generally accept hunting. Many are familiar with hunting through friends/family but for whatever reason they choose not to participate in hunting. But I wouldn't say they are politically allied with us hunters either. It doesn't take much to push them one way or the other on the issue.

I am considering taking on the daunting task (or at least planting the political seeds) of getting legistlation passed in Tennessee that would outlaw the public display of any animals taken while hunting. It just urks me too no end when I see some REDNECK, backwoods, toothless, banjo pickin inbred rolling down the road in his jackedup 4x4 with a dead deer lying in the bed of the truck with the tailgate left down EXPRESSLY for the purpose of showing the world a bloodied and lifeless animal that was killed at the hands of this "hunter". It REALLY gets too me when I see the deer tied on the hood, atop the roof or strapped too a trailer or atop an ATC which is riding along behind the tow vehicle.

Duck and turkey hunters don't tie their take atop the roof of their SUVs, fishermen don't leave their gutted limits lying atop the decks of their boats for the trip home. So why should it be "acceptable" for deerhunters to do the same? I likewise think some "reasonableness" could be incorporated into the matter. If the hunter has a nice SUV or car then I wouldn't expect them to have the deer riding shotgun with them in the frontseat. I think a properly wrapped or otherwise contained animal would be totally acceptable and not out of line to ask for. There are commerical "big game bags" for just such purposes and I have several times wrapped my own deer up in a simple tarp for the trip home. I don't personally think the rack being visible would be all that bad, but at least the rest of the animal should be completely out of public sight. Many SUV and car hunters also use the various "hitch haulers" to haul their game on. I have seen many of them wrap the animals up like I mentioned so I know it's possible and others are thinking similarly too myself.

It just seems like the most stubborn and "REDNECKED" amongst our ranks have a few shortcomings in some other areas of their lives that can somehow be made up for by leaving a bloodtrail down mainstreet. Somehow in their childish little minds their dead forkhorn strapped atop their 4wheeler makes up for their obvious short manhood!!!

What is the general consensus among hunters at least?
RA
Old 11-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Dead deer in public view???

Well speaking for myself I'm guility. I have to admit that I've never thought about it like you have, but it makes sense. Like you said it's a pride thing. I like showing my trophy. Nobody has ever said anything negative to me about it. And until they do I'll probably continue to do it. I have even had several people pull me over wanting a closer look. When this happens it educates people to the sport of deer hunting. They are always asking questions and wanting to here my "story". Just my opinion, but I do see where you are coming from.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like checking out the nice bucks on people's roofs when I'm coming home from camp. It's part of the experience. I always beep and give the guys the thumbs up.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

I dont know about all of you, but isnt that part of the hunt..showing off your deer? lol. Let them anti-hunters say what they want, they can kiss our asses. Maybe if they had something to do, they would forget about getting rid of hunting. Just a though
Old 11-25-2005, 09:39 PM
Fork Horn

i leave the tailgate down, but i also give the animal respect, i don`t leave its tongue hanging out and all, as for the turkey, duck, and fisherman showing off there harvest, those are alot smaller than a deer, so it easy to `hide`them.
imo there is a wrong way and a right way to show off your animal,just do it respectable to the animal..
Old 11-25-2005, 10:01 PM

Red Be careful there sounds like you could be heading towards being a anti hunter.Just a thought.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it really all depends upon where you live. When I was living in WV it seemed like everyone showed off their deer and noone said a thiing about it. Now that I live in MD it does not seem to be as accepted. Frankly, I don't care one way or another. Hey, it's deer season. I got one, YAHOO! Get over it. Oh yeah, I'm proud to be a redneck. Thank you very much.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:33 PM

Southern Man you couldn't be further from wrong about me becoming an anti-hunter. I am happy to say I have 2 deer in P&Y, 1 elk in Longhunters Society, I am the area chairman for my local Ducks Unlimited Chapter and I have worked basically my entire life in the hunting and fishing industry. I live, breath and exist to hunt and fish, I am just concerned about many of the current and future poltical "issues" that face not only my generation of hunters but those of my young children.

Steve F. you are really right with regards too locality having alot to do with it. When I have been in places like NM, CO, WY and MT the hunters are a VAST majority and everyone from granny too the local police are accepting of dead animals and most are hunters themselves. But I am specifically speaking about states east of the Mississippi River and particularly cities or metro areas with over 50k people. Tonight one of my own wife's friends told me about how sickened she was at the sight of a big 4x4 parked atop a landscaped parking lot median at our local mall today. Being the biggest shopping day of the year she wasn't as put out with the fact that the redneck "made his own space" atop the shrubs and landscaping. She was more put out with the fact that the redneck had a dead deer lying in the back of his truck, a puddle of blood had dripped onto the grass and this woman's own husband is a deerhunter so she isn't opposed to hunting.

I think folks just need to be considerate of how their own actions effect ALL of us hunters!
RA

ps
xeniabuck I hope you were only kidding and just trying to get a laugh with the "kiss my ass attitude". If not, it's your kind of redneck "hunter" that will be the end of our sport as we know it. Hunting is not a right, it isa privilege and those privileges can be yanked easily by that 75% majority I spoke of.I hate that my kids future and my lifes passion rides on actions and attitudes such as yours, if in deed those are your true feelings!!!
Old 11-25-2005, 10:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

im going to go off on a limb and say that most "rednecks" DONT do the displaying...seems to me its the "weekend warriors" that do it....the guys that think they are kingof the world for killing a deer...one of the very few they ever killed....usually driving a nice SUV or maybe a nice older model that they kept for going to their "camp" or mansion on the lake lol.....usually tie it ontop of the roof or to a hitch hauler......me and my buddies can very easily be classifieded as rednecks...hicks...whatever.....we dont do stuff like that.....throw them inthe pickup bed and back to the farm they go.....only people we care to show is eachother.....i drive an suv.....inside is NICE....i hate to get that thing muddy or bloody.....but when i shot em they go in there.......a tarp cost my like...3 or 4 bucks TOPS.....fold down the backseat and throw them in and wrap them up......when i talk about rednecks not doing it i dont know of thats everywhere.....but it just seems like around here its the opposite....but i do have a buddy that tied JUST the deer antlers to the front of his truck...i have a turkey beard and spurs hanging from my rear view.....which started a trend andi saw a few more go in windows at school....but none look as nice as mine......but other then that thats all the displaying....i dont even like to hang them at home in view of anyone else.....my first deer.....a dang doe brought to much attention for me..and it was rather hidden in the backyard! just all the neighbors noticed and had to come see.......was a giant doe though! lol.....i dont like the public display either....leaves a salty taste in my mouth.....just doesnt need to be done.....and can very easily make people change their views.....i know if i didnt hunt and didnt know anything about it id be pretty grossed out when a truck with blood dripping off and a gutted bambi on the roof passed me.........
Old 11-25-2005, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Red on the whole transporting deer and other big game animals on the roofs of cars and SUVs. It disgusts me as a very avid sportsman, and I know my friends feel the same way. I drive a pickup, and I have never and will never drive with my tailgate down to display a deer. I wipe the blood off my tailgate before leaving the field, just to give myself a better appearance. I would not be opposed to a law prohibiting SUV and car owners from transporting big game in such a matter. But, on the other hand, a law like that puts us hunters one step closer to losing all of our rights. I think it is a no-win situation.

Quick Reply: Dead deer in public view???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.